News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

THE SOVIET QUIZ - 2011 - QUIZ CLOSED

• Replies 1.1k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep crossed posts!!!

I'll wait for UB6365 to confirm the victory......

I had him yesterday but for some reason I did not consider him! Mention of the double HSU brought him to mind straight away and the numbers suddenly made sense.

This was indeed a challenge and if my answer was correct, UB6365 does indeed deserve to be congratulated for the subject he chose!!!

Jim :cheers:

I had considered him earlier, but the statement that he was not Russian is somewhat misleading as, if I am not mistaken, when he was born in 1902 his country did not exist as a independent country but, rather was part of Russia. Gunner 1

BINGO

I am not Russian , I am Jude

I was born not in Soviet Union or Russian Federation, I was born in Lietuva, part of tsarist Russia

Numbers 29 and 5 are very important to me, My first medal of HSU has #29, second #5

I participated in many wars and battles but not in the biggest one. Spain, Mongolia, Finland, but not WW2

In one place I was 1 of 5000, in other 1 of 57000. Soviet Union sent 5000 people to Spain in 1937 and 57000 to Mongolia in 1939

In Mongolia my chief commander was Zhukov G.K. who later received two orders of Victory.

I am hero of documentary film “General Douglas” (1979)

I was executed without trial under the personal order of Lavrentiy Beria in 1941

In Spain, Herman Goering personally offered premium/prize of 1 Million Reich mark for my life.

Hints 6 and 7: no comments

I am Jakov Smushkevich

Edited by ub6365

Gunner 1 may have a bit of a point as most of Lithuania was annexed to the Russian empire at the time. That distinction went over my head.

However UB6535 also has very much of a point. You will probably find that on his internal documents Smuskevich may very well had "Jew" as his NATIONALITY . It was that way even in the post-war Soviet Union. Politically incorrect by today's standards but a fact of the Soviet Union!

Jim,

You well deserve your first rank in the Quiz !! :)

Ch.

Thanks for the comment Christophe. I am flattered!

However in my books anyone who can get a couple of questions deserves credit as most of them pose much of a challenge to us all!!

Scoreboard update!!!

19 points - JimZ

15 points - Harvey

10 points - Hauptmann

5 points - Gunner 1

4 points - Christophe

3 points - Valter

2 points - kapten_windu

1 point - Tachel

1 point - UB6365

I'll set the next question as soon as I can and at latest by tomorrow!!!

Still exhausted from the previous one....!!! However, seeing the participation that there was on the quiz this evening I want to keep things going.

Question 60

This is a photo I snapped on my cell phone a few years ago.

This is one of a complex of (rather nondescript) buildings that is well guarded and access to it is restricted to most. Had I not known what it was, (and that is why I was there) I might have simply passed it by.

And yet it houses some well kept secrets which seem to flow out from time to time.

What is the place? .....Where is it located?....... What is the nature of the secrets that I refer to?

Good luck!!!

Edited by JimZ

UB6365 is refering to GRU or Glavnoye Razvedyvatel'noye Upravleniye or the Military Intelligence Directorate of the Soviet Army.

You are probably right about secrets flowing out of there sometimes!! :cheeky:

But its another building and the secrets are of a different nature...they are more accessible than GRU secrets!!!

Remember that the answer is in three parts

1) What is the place?

2) Where is it located?

3) What is the nature of the secrets that I refer to?

I would say:

- it's somewhere in Russia or former SU (blue post box)

- somewhere in Eastern part of Russia (plz mark Toyota RAV4 with right hand drive)

- something related to defense (entry point style)

- research or analytic facility, but not regular military unit (8 story building)

TacHel's none of your replies are correct.

UB6535 is however on the right track showing us how the game should be played.

- it's somewhere in Russia or former SU (blue post box) - YES - very much so... Russia

- somewhere in Eastern part of Russia (plz mark Toyota RAV4 with right hand drive) - see above.

- something related to defense (entry point style) - YES - I'd say it does

- research or analytic facility, but not regular military unit (8 story building) - YES - this is not a regular military building

The secrets in this place are accessible to anyone who knows how to get to them....

Edited by JimZ