News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Iron Cross, 2nd Class, 1914

I have seen a few of these one piece strikes. I have three in brass and 1 in zinc and they are very hard to find in the condition you show. Usually the plating and paint is mostly gone and the brass is coming through. I do believe these to have been made in the 20's. Since EK's were awarded until 1924 and Germany was in a deep depression this is what may have been awarded at this late date. The other possibility is that they were an inexpensive spangenstuck piece since when new they would have looked much better. However I have never seen one on a medal bar.

Bill,

Yours looks like it may be made from nickel silver or neusilber since I do not see any brass showing on the wear points. If so, It is the first I have seen in that material. Can you confirm this?

Dan Murphy

Yes, Dan, if you look at the reverse scan, in the lower left hand corner of the left arm of teh cross, a bit of the core can be seen. It is not brass, and as you have postulated, appears to be made of nickel silver or neusilber. Edited by Bill Garvy