News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Elephant goad

Hello Everyone,

Here is one of the more unusual items from my years of collecting. It is an Indian Elehpant Goad or Ankusa,which is used to manage elehants. I suspose this could be military at one time in history, however, this one would date somwhere around the end of the 19th to early 20th century. Therefore I would categorize it as non-military. It is made of steel and inlaid with brass. It measures 22 1/2 inches in length and is quite heavy. As to value, the market value of this particular ankusa would be around the $350.00 mark. However, if there were a rampaging Indian elephant terrorizing my neighbourhood and since I am the only one with one of these then the value...priceless. :whistle:

Regards

Brian

Here are some close up views showing the inlay and the other details like the elephant and the elephant heads as well as the warrior depicted just below the standing elephant. There does seem to be seem to be a military aspect about this piece, however, I will stand by my statement that this is non-military as far as the intended use and the likely age. It could have been used in military parades.

Regards

Brian

• 3 weeks later...
    • 2 weeks later...

Actually - all jokes aside - this is a very good example and has been gilded as well. The Mahouts usually have the job handed down Father to Son and these goads are essential to work the elephant. Genuine ones - as this one - are fairly rare on the market. I have one from Thailand I will have photgraphed.

Meanwhile, thankyou Brian - I don't think the thread will have too many replies though - still, we might be surprised.