News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

EK1 Clamshell

I am going to go say that in my opinion this is modern reproduction. Here is a picture of a supposed

"schinkelform" TR ek.

To me the frame looks identical especially the outside corners of the 6 oclock arm. The rayback looks the same as does the back of the cross itself.

[attachmentid=23467]

I "borrowed" this photo off another forum. If anybody complains, please feel free to delete it.

Greg

Edited by gregM

I'd agree with Marshall. A perfectly good original piece. I like the fact that the edges of the clamshell screwplate look very think, almost "sharp". The fakes that about usually have a much thicker edge.

I'd also tend to put the period of manufacture at post 1918, though my guess would be a 20s/30s piece, the frames from these also being used in the early Schinkelform 1939 EK1s .

GregM, Biro, & Gordon

Thank you for your opinions! The edge of the 'clamshell' is sharp and made from a thin metal overall. Its very delicate and shows a nice patina.

The small bit of excess near the interior corner beadings (pointed out by GregM) and the 'not-so-black' black paint put me off thinking it was post '45.

Kindest Regards,

Steve

it goes to the frugality of the german manufacturers

of heraldry.

WW1 EK 1 cases used in WW2.

schinkel-style frames.

the very common and brisk trade for

veterans and vet organizations.

the WW1 vet, especially, was not about

to let be forgotten his deeds in the great war,

even if he felt neglected by his government

and the politics that ended WW1.

joe

Hi Steve !

Nice EK 1914 , I`m not so much in to WW1 items . But I got this EK1 with screwback together with some WW2 Badges / crosses . These lot have been here in Norway since the War ended , and was taken from German Soldiers before they was returned to Germany in end of 1945 - and in 1946 .

Most of the WW2 badges was denazi so they could be worn in POW camps in Norway .

I normally dont collect Imperial but this Cross was so nice , so I could not let it go .

Jan Arne

Edited by Jan Arne S

Guest Brian von Etzel

Learning something here, thanks...

That would explain some of the heavier clamshells that looked weird.

Edited by Brian von Etzel

Jan Arne

That is the smartest looking cross I've seen in a long time. The quality is top notch!!! And it has great character to boot!!

IS the color of the beading the same as the color of the core (seen through the paint)? I'm just curious!! It may be the picture.....

Kindest Regards,

Steve

Here is another example of a rayback or clamshell cross. This one has the heavier cast (I think)

backing plate. The cross is unmarked.

[attachmentid=24057]

Edited by gregM