News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

AERO CLUB visor? Can anyone ID?

John, Beautiful visor. Lets throw out a few things that it is not. It is not Kaiserlishe Aero Club as they had a different insignia. It is not Kaiserliche Aero Corps under the auspices of the Kaiserliche Automobile Corps as this group proposed to be founded in 1914 was never founded. It is not standard Aero corps and I doubt it was a visor worn by the company Automobil und Aviatik AG.

When you eliminate the above it could be a civilian volunteer pilot that provided his own plane for the war effort and originally was under the direction of the Kaiserliche Automobile Corps. There are other Automobile Corps insignia that show the wheel and plane. This Taube is early.

The Kaiserliche Automobile Corps was a major player in early flight in Germany.

Thanks for the info, Vic. The celluloid / plastic throws me however and suggests late/postwar rather then prewar...but probably as you say civilian or paramilitary association. Red piping is technical / flying troops for Bavarian and Saxon, I know...but what is this kokarde? Rgds

John:

I surely yield to you in terms of materials and time period regarding uniforms. Celluloid was used during much of the Imperial Period. I admit I am at the edge of my knowledge with a cap like this but always want to continue to think through these unknown items. I have spend most of my collecting pursuing that kind of thing. The insignia does appear to be Kaiserliche Automobil Corps. So perhaps it could be later as you suggest. For the following reason. The Auto Corps was not disbanded until 1919. This was a very proud organization with a very elite membership.They had a lot of activities after the war including parades and erection of monuments.

it could be from that period as you suggest. Someone on this forum certainly knows this kokarde.

t