News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

My Verdun selection

brianch

Here are a few photo's of my Verdun collection. I hope they may be of interest to like minded collectors. The first is a small bronze plaque in its case. I assume presented to the family of the soldier killed by his employers. I nice item in good condition

Hello

Thank you for posting;

Could you possibly transcribe the inscriptions on both sides of this plaque ? Your picture gives a good view of the piece itself, but the writting is unfortunately unreadeable.

Regards

Veteran

Yes you are right, not helped by me having to reduce the image to meet the criteria. I also submitted more pics but I assume as I am not a fully paid member...Anyway

A LA MEMOIRE

DE SON COLLABORATEUR

LOUIS BEUCLER

MORT POUR LA FRANCE

LE 18 JUILLIET1916

LE CREDIT FONCIER

D'ALGERIE ET DE TUNISIE

The reverse is a sculpture of angels taking a male figure to heaven

on the bottom edge is a number 75 followed by Robert Linzelen and the mark for bronze. The makers name Robert Linzelen of 9, rue D'Argenson, Paris appears on the onside lid of the leather box.

It is a beautiful piece in my opinion. Louis BEUCLER died in the village of Fleury but has no know grave. Not sure if I could research any further? I assume he or his parent workded for the company (Finance and banking)

I would be happy to send any photos (good quality) to you by email if you wanted to see more close up. Thanks for your interest

Hello,

You will find more information and a copy of his military document here :

http://www.memoiredeshommes.sga.defense.gouv.fr/spip.php?page=base_liste

I confirm HE worked for the bank in north africa.

B r

Gerry

Hello Gerry

Thanks for your interest, I did locate him from this source but as is so often the case - no place of burial. He was born and recruited in France so I assume he worked for a French branch of the bank? He was a corporal 2nd regiment of tiralleurs de marche at the time of his death. There is somone of his name who appears on the monument aux mort at Remiremont but I don't know enough to decide if this is him or not, not sure if there is anything else on the memorial i.e. age, regiment etc - seems a fair way from Verdun and nowhere near his home, maybe it is a memorial for the deaths that occurred in the whole region? I would like to find out more of course. thanks again

Brian

Hello Gerry

Thanks for your interest, I did locate him from this source but as is so often the case - no place of burial. He was born and recruited in France so I assume he worked for a French branch of the bank? He was a corporal 2nd regiment of tiralleurs de marche at the time of his death. There is somone of his name who appears on the monument aux mort at Remiremont but I don't know enough to decide if this is him or not, not sure if there is anything else on the memorial i.e. age, regiment etc - seems a fair way from Verdun and nowhere near his home, maybe it is a memorial for the deaths that occurred in the whole region? I would like to find out more of course. thanks again

Brian

Hi,

usually the names on the Monuments are from the people who originate in the village, as opposed to those who are buried there.

I am a huge Verdun "Fan" so am really keen to see what you have.

Here is one of my favourite groups.... see if you can see his name on the last photo....

http://www.kaiserscross.com/40056/40625.html

Hello Brian

If your man served with the 2nd Tirailleurs de Marche, he may have been killed in the very first days of the battle of Verdun. That regiment was part of the reinforcements which were rushed up and checked the German onslaught in February 1916..

My own father was a second lieutenant in that regiment and was badly wounded rallying men who were falling back after all their officers had been killed. They stopped the Germans at "la Côte du Poivre".

If Beucler was killed at that time, his grave may never be found. His body might have disappeared or been buried in a mass grave such as Douaumont.

Regards

Veteran

Hello veteran...Thanks for the info. As the plaque shows, killed on 18th July 1916 near Fleury according to SGA records)

Chris... I was not aware of the possibility of viewing the diaries! I have looked and my man is not mentioned in either Brigade or Regimental until end of July but there seems not to be any names. Maybe I should plough on and check for the weeks after in case there was a round up of names

thanks

Brian

• 2 weeks later...

Brian, my deepest apologies. I had planned to put these resized pics in the day you sent them and ended up getting pulled away into so many things by so many people that I completely forgot till now. Anyhow here they are... I hope this helps.