News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

1970`s plastic toy soldiers...come on guys you remember them!

bigjarofwasps

I remember those with a square metal base-plate well, wasn't it Britain's who made them? I think there was everything from Napoleonic to WW2 and then some in between. Foreign legionnaires in light blue coats, anyone? Highlanders in kilt for those so inclined, or why not a American Civil War Gatling gun with crew?

/Jonas

Good Afternoon.....

Yes these were Britain's...... They made the plastic because of the Lead Scare and small children putting them in their mouth..... They no longer make them from what I understand and have gone back to the metal ones that are supposed to be higher quality for collectors and not toys any more....

Mike

About the same time were not "Airfix" turning out model

soldiers of a similar size, however unpainted?

Kevin in Deva.

I think they still do, if you mean the 1:32 scale series. It seems, however, that the range is more narrow now, I guess the kids of today needs something like Call of Duty or Battlefield to get their steam up...

/Jonas

I'm only 290,000 points away from Brigadier General in Battlefield Bad Co. It's waaaaay more fun than the soldiers of my youth in the 60's and 70's. Remember General Jumbo with the radio controlled army in the Dandy? I always wanted one of those, now I've got one :violent: ratatatatatat

Have been collecting Britain's since I was a youngster when you could buy the 3rd grade lead soldiers at Woolworth's, 3 for a dime..... Also have the book that they published for the 100th anniversary of Britain's with all the sets that they have made up till that date.....

Thought I had a picture but I guess not.....

There are a few here though.....

Mike

I think they still do, if you mean the 1:32 scale series. It seems, however, that the range is more narrow now, I guess the kids of today needs something like Call of Duty or Battlefield to get their steam up...

/Jonas

Nah, a lot of young people play Fantasy 40K or Space Marines 40K. Also Lord of the Rings is fairly big as well as Necromunda

• 1 year later...

They're the Britains "Deetail" figures. Made of a nice hard plastic so they could be converted into almost anything and, just to make life easier, the bases came off with no trouble at all. Plus they were so cheap that if you did have a disaster, you weren't looking at a whole month's pocket money going down the drain. I loved 'em. I had a a load of British infantry of the Indian Mutiny converted from the American Civil War confederates (the grey plastic took paint better thatn the Union's dark blue).

How I miss them!

BTW, Mike. That cider cup in the middle of your cabinet is great.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Dan. In no way to correct you - just to help with the identification. The cup with Queen Victoria has three handles and was known as

a 'Loving Cup' - it was intended to be filled with any drink - incl. cider. The Cup was intended to be passed around a gathering to make a toast. Mervyn

ps. Mike - what's the big medallion in a case ?

Good Morning Mervyn.....

The large medallion at the bottom is the City (of London) Imperial Volunteers medal of course with case (Hearn No. 178).....

The one on the shelf just above is the Princess of Wales Hospital (Hearn No. 60)......

Also - A Two handled cup is called a Loving Cup, a three handled cup is called a Tyg......

I picked up the matching Goblet at the Easter Gun Show this year......

Mike