News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Converted Japanese Orders

JapanX

From time to time you could see sacred treasure, rising sun and golden kite orders without ribbons and with strange looking pins on their reverses.

What is this?

Who did it?

What for?

We will begin our discussion with a little display of such converted specimens.

• Replies 71
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is this?

Obviously they are original orders.

Some genius just decided to “redo them a little bit”.

“Redo it” generally includes “get rid of ribbon and ribbon hoop + solder the pin”

Only in case of rising suns we see signs of additional “work” – destroyed enamel and polished reverses of the paulownia leafs (this is done for pin soldering of course). This is quite usual “modernization” for rising suns in higher classes (I once saw rising sun 6th class from Meiji – same work – only no chain – just the badge).

Edited by JapanX

Hi Nick,

I bought in Japan some time ago, a golden Russian St. Anna order, that had been converted into an obijime (accessory) for on the obihime (rope around the obi). It was beautifully done with a kind of gold frame around the order. Might have been done by the widow of a Japanese who received the St. Anna order, because I don't think in Tarist Russia many women, except the nobility, received Imperial orders. Have never seen a Japanese order adapted in this way.

Regards,

Pieter