News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Interested in reseach on Death Card Josef Pschorr

Hello all, can anyone help me find more information? He appears to be an enlisted man (Bavarian). The card has this:

Josef Pschorr

War veteran of Eastern Africa holder of the colonial-medal born on February 19, 1883 in Augsburg died the hero's death for homeland on 1 October 1914 in elsenstraat in Mechelen Belgium. Holder of the Verdienst-Kreuzes with schwetern II. Class and the kaiser- Wilhelms-Medaille.

I don't think he could of had the Kaiser Wilhelm Centennial medal as he was 14 in 1897. The last medal could be a long service medal of some sort. Thanks in advance Cheers Captain Albert

He is in Marine-VL 63 (published 2 february 1916): Pschorr, Josef, Gefr. d.S.I - Asch, Kaufbeuren - T.

The Marine-Division (at that point there was still only one of those) fought against the Belgian army in September-October 1914. The Belgian army had withdrawn to Antwerp, while the Marine-Division and a few other units (III. Reservekorps and some Landwehr units) were besieging Antwerp.

Elzenstraat is just North of Mechelen (near St. Katelijne Waver).

Thank you AOK4 - that is very helpful. I tried on Ancestry.com (Chris's suggestion) but have been having problems finding the right Josef Pschorr. But this information is sure to help. Since I don't read German a little help with the entry would be appreciated. Cheers Captain Albert

Edited by army historian

In doing some research I found out that in the Imperial German Navy 14 year olds could enlist in a "Ship's Boys" unit and receive training until age 17 when they were enrolled as sailors. Since AKO4 indicated he (Pschorr) later served in the 1st Marine Division, I guess this would make sense, and he could of been awarded the Kaiser Wilhelm Centennial Medal in 1897 at the age of 14. Strange. This could also indicate he was a career sailor or marine. Cheers Captain Albert

Edited by army historian

• 3 weeks later...

The card mentiones a "Verdienst-Kreuz mit Schwertern II. Klasse". As a Bavarian he might get a Bavarian Militär-Verdienstkreuz. But a 2nd class for a private? Just if it is the 2nd pattern of the Militär-Verdienstkreuz, awarded during 1905-1913. After 1913 he had to be a Vizefeldwebel or Feldwebel (staff seargeant/seargeant first class).

Usually during the colonial wars a soldier was first awarded with a Prussian medal and than by his "nation". So I think the Kaiser-Wilhelms-Medaille could be the war merit medal (Militär-Ehrenzeichen). Maybe after his death nobody of his relatives in Bavaria knew the correct name of this medal and just created this name.

What do you think?

Regards

Hello,

As the BMVK3 is more or less the equivalent of the IC2, it is often referred to as Verdienstkreuz 2. Klasse on death cards etc as things were not always that clear to normal people.

Jan

Thank you both for the insight and information. Yes Bavarian - you could be correct. The possibiltiy that he may have been awarded the "Warrior's Medal" is intriguinng. I can tell he was Naval also. It is too bad that there isn't more information on enlisted men. Cheers George

Edited by army historian

Hello,

I found a "Gefreiter" Pschorr who received the "Militärehrenzeichen" 2nd class in 1906. He received his prussian war decoration for his actions during the madji-madji-rebellion in German-Eastafrica (1905-1907). There he was a member of "DOA,Mar.Inf.Det.d.Ostafrik.Stat.". But I couldn´t find any more war decorations for him.

Best wishes

Karsten

Edited by Leutwein

Hello George,

normally are my references the "Deutsche Kolonialblatt" which is very useful for researching colonial veterans. But in your case (navy) I´m using the following data sheet, which you can download here:

http://h1797427.stratoserver.net/public_html/wbb3/board3-3/board5-deutsche-orden-ehrenzeichen-auszeichnungen-bis-1918/7644-verleihungslisten/

A competent user allocate this nice data sheet. But you must be a member of that forum to download it.

http://h1797427.stratoserver.net/public_html/wbb3/index.php?page=Register

You won´t regret it.

Best wishes

Karsten

Hello George

You must be a member of that Fourm, as I said.

Here is the link to register for it:

http://h1797427.stratoserver.net/public_html/wbb3/index.php?page=Register71987c56&l=2&l=4&l=2

Then you can download the data sheet.

Best wishes

Karsten