News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

As we all know, after the Pyrrhic victory at Lagansalza in 1866, the plucky Hanoverian army was forced back and pinned against the mountains by rapidly advancing Prussian troops. Unable to unite with their South German and Austrian allies, the plucky red (ooops- blue)-coated soldiers fought on against impossible odds until their King was safely away into exile in Vienna-never to return.

Shortly thereafter the Prussians destroyed the Austrians and their allies at Koeniggratz and the Hohenzollern annexation of Hanover was a' fait-acomlpis.

The Hanoverian King meanwhile had instituted the Lagansalza victory medal- similar to the famous and well respected Waterloo medal that was awarded to many of the Hanoverian soldiers ' fathers and grandfathers. Indeed several Waterloo alumni were at Lagansalza.

In an unusual display of lese majestie', the Prussian King allowed the wear of the Lagansalza medal as of the Spring of 1867. This was shortly after the Hanoverian medals began to be handed out by the exiled royal house in Vienna. Thus, by 1870, a number of "Prussian" officers were wearing medals signifying a Prussian defeat as they got shot to pieces at places like Mars le Tour and Sedan.

Thanks to the good graces of Herr Michael Taenzer of the H.G.S., I have an on-line file of the Hanoverian Officer Corps as of the battle in 1866, with subsequent notes up to 1895.

Herr Rick Research is already hard at work ferreting out unknown facts and indexing the officer's names.

I am willing to send via email, the pdf. file of this "alumni List" (@ 750 names) and the OOB for 1866 to any dues paying member, Old Sweat, Host, Moderator etc. who asks.

Just drop me a pm.

"Membership has its privileges." as Amex says.....

As we all know, after the Pyrrhic victory at Lagansalza in 1866, the plucky Hanoverian army was forced back and pinned.............. Unable to unite with their fellow South German and Austrian allies, the plucky red-coated soldiers fought on against impossible odds until their King was safely away into exile in Vienna-never to return.

Red coats? The Hanoverian army stopped wearing red tunics in 1837 and began wearing blue ones at that time.

Not all of them.

The Hanoverian archives Facebook page has some splendid prints on-line.

http://www.facebook....53703385&type=1

The plates for the Hanoverian archives page show red uniforms, but not for after 1838. There is a plate for 1866, in color, that doesn't show any red uniforms at all and that doesn't support your claim about "not all of them."

The Hanoverian army didn't wear red after 1837. The plate on the facebook page you refered to does show red worn up to 1837. In 1838 when salic law prevented Victoria being the ruler or Hanover and resulted Ernst Augustus's being on the throne instead. Ernst Augustus changed several things including the army's use of blue uniforms along the lines of the Prussian pattern, the later introduction of a Pickelhaube style helmet, etc, before Hanover's relations with the Prussian state began to sour in the 1850's.

After the relations between the two states started to sour, the Hanoverians started a change over to Austrian style uniforms as seen in the color plate in the attached link ( http://www.koenigreich-hannover.de/ukuniform.html )

Edited by Les

The Hanoverian archives uses several of Richard Knoetel's plates. As a general interest kind of thing, here's a plate of his showing the Hanoverian army as it looked in 1866, with all branches being represented.

Well, quodos to Les for making me look again.

I thought the Leib regiment wore red jackets at Lagansalza. Now I shall go back and look at Michaels' pictures again.

Michael did put up the Knoetel plates but I think there are also Funken (Lillian and Fred) water-colours as well.

Shame- it's understandable that Hanover went to the "Union"/Prussian blue, but IMHO they looked better with scarlet coats. I have seen pictures of the Kings in exile wearing scarlet, but too little, too late.