News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

The Ghost of Imperial German Collecting Past!

Bemedalled sepia paymaster

Here are nice scans of the Mecklenburg-Schwerin paymaster Cousin Ulsterman kindly started rolling with a mailed printout. My thanks as always to Glenn for almost real-time trans-Atlantic postal/telephonic help and to Dave for his welcome additions posted above.

BTW Dave—get in touch with me. I have STRELITZ 1870 and 1914 war crosses rolls done... and probably other things we should compare notes on. Life is too short to do things twice-over! J

Thanks to Evil Ricky for posting these scans!

Rick Yesthereislifeoffline Research

The Man in The Straw Hat

This interesting photo shows a ferociously mustachio’d fellow in what I take to be a Boxer Rebellion colonial outfit. I cannot explain the TWO officer-type cockades, since Imperial troops would only have worn the large tricolor cockade.

Since there was only one army officer from Lübeck sent off to China, my best current identification is added beneath the enlarged scan,

The photo was made “misty” on very slick stock, which is unfortunate, since a SHARP image would have revealed much more detail!

Thanks to Evil Ricky for posting these for me since I’ve been offline these last 2 years… and to cousin Ulsterman for being at another table when the show dealer turned up to price this!

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_02_2012/post-120-0-56996100-1330087639.jpgA Very Large Pointy Headed Gentleman For Glenn

This portrait is alas under glass, with a Hamburg framer’s label. Unfortunately I couldn’t come up with a match for a Hamburg-resident Landwehr cavalry Rittmeister who might have been in 18th Corps uniform.

His ribbon bar is: EK2 1914, even I’m not sure, Hamburg Hanseatic, and the last two in that mysterious old period chromatic reversal, undoubtedly a Prussian Reserve/Landwehr long service award and an 1897 Centenary Medal. That would indicate he’d been a One Year Volunteer 1896/97… or a regular then who slipped into the Landwehr.

Given the snappy regimental outfits possible, I can’t imagine why any officer would have wanted to dress up like an Unteroffizier-circus ringmaster!!

Thanks to Evil Ricky for posting. With gasoline what it is, doesn’t look good for much traveling back and forth from The Island this year! Rick Research

That second ribbon on the bar is a real mystery-and made me wonder if its another sighting of the Hohenzollern mystery ribbon that Tyanek posted lasted month. I am beginning to wonder if that was a regimental diploma medal.

nope- Mecklenburg LS- see the "AN NCO THAT MADE GOOD" thread in Imperial German research-

#5 is the 1849 medal...very unusual. I spent a small part of yesterday reading about the Mecklnbrg- Schwern aid to Baden during the revolution.