News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Luftwaffe Flakregiment 10 (mot) Document Grouping

Hello to all,

Here is a nice Flak grouping that I won in an auction. There are a total of five documents in the grouping and all are in really nice condition. Hope you like them.

Best regards,

Tom

Flak Badge document:

Very nice set in great condition - and thank you for adding the signatures to the database :cheers:

Thanks, Hucks!

I just found out that my new document grouping was the subject of a bit of historical vandalism. While researching the recipient's name, I discovered that my document grouping was sold in a auction out of Connecticut in July of 2011. At that time, there was also a 1939 KVK1X document, signed by Generaloberst von Greim, plus a few other miscellaneous papers to Paul Fierenkothen. Apparently, the new owner decided to remove the KVK1X document and the miscellaneous papers from the grouping. I bought the five remaining documents just this month out of a Florida auction. Too bad that groupings like this get parted out.

It appears that Fierenkothen did survive the war as one of the miscellaneous papers shows that he was a POW. Here is some of the additional information that was given in the July 2011 auction listing:

"Luftflotte 6, Nov. 23, 1944, an award of the War Service Cross 1st Class with Swords to Oberwachmeister Paul Fierenkothen, a flak gunner. Also present concerning the same soldier: a similar award document signed by the Commander of "
    Air Defense 6
    ", four other award documents, including an Iron Cross, 2nd Class, a furlough issued to him in Smolensk, a transfer, and a postwar synopsis of his training and service submitted while held as a POW showing that he had participated in the destruction of 24 airplanes and 36 tanks, and was wounded four times."

Here is the grouping before it was vandalized:

That is a big pity. We see plenty of times when groups are split up and the citations are sold on an individual basis, and while I don't agree with it I can see why they do it (i.e. maximise the potential profits) but what was the point of seperating just one citation from the rest unless it was to make the PoW papers alittle more attractive to any buyers but then you would expect the KvK II as well as the 1st Class to be kept apart from the rest and sold seperately?

Edited by hucks216

Regardless, at least you know what is missing. It is a stellar grouping. How would an NCO receive a KVK1. I would have thought that an EK1 would have been warranted for shooting down planes, even behind the lines. I parallelled the KVK1 with a noncombattant EK in WW1...

The KvK could be awarded for bravery not in the face of the enemy (as well as an award for meritorious reasons) so could be awarded for many things - pulling people from a damaged building, or rescuing people from a damaged battery that had a fire spreading to ready use ammunition etc.

I have heard of a KVK2 being awarded for livesaving and etc, but I have never seen a KVK1 awarded for something like that. I have not seen too many enlisted people with a KVK1.

I have heard of a KVK2 being awarded for livesaving and etc, but I have never seen a KVK1 awarded for something like that. I have not seen too many enlisted people with a KVK1.

I'm not entirely sure but I think it is rarer to see a KvK I Kl to an enlisted man then an EK I, especially those of the equivalent of the 'Private' ranks.

Edited by hucks216