News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

A Red Banner for consideration

It looks like a Type 3, circular, 5-sided suspension. What's the mint mark?

This little gem landed on my doorsteps today. ORB #104677 (Jan-Feb '44)... take a look at it and tell me what you see!

Edited by Riley1965

The serial number and mint mark make it a Type 3 variation 3. On the front aside from the wear I noticed the enamel on the bottom point of the star is irregular almost over the edge of the border.

I'm not sure, therein lies my problem. But take another look at the front!

The edges of the arm on the plow and the flagstaff look off. also, I just checked my PMD. They have the Type 3 serial number range between 84,000 and 355,000. Variation1 serial number range 84,787 to 185,002. I missed that part. Type3 variation 1?

Edited by Riley1965

I agree on the engraving. But it matches up with others from the era. I'm always impressed with the variety of styles you see on the earlier ones. I've seen some you would swear were stamped and only under a glass can you see the tool marks the engraving is that precise. Others like this one look like a little too much vodka the night before!

Its not exactly the same, the understroke under the 1 isn?t there.Its possible, that the S/N was changed to fit in a group, but the piece is definately a T3V1 in my opinion, when i only go from the obverse.

Can you see any traces, that it has been changed, Rick? The patina is not even on the reverse, i.e its missing in the area of the S/N.

Gerd

Guest Rick Research

:unsure::rolleyes: Michael is correct. It is indeed a T3V1 absolutely spot on McDaniel p75

:sleep:

It's...

a Red Banner.

:sleep::sleep:

Um... if matching HAND-made details to an exact laser-duplicated machined mass produced All Serial Numbers/Stamp Placement/Enamel Depth Must Be PRECISELY The Same On EVERYTHING is something that anybody who wants to collect wartime Red Banners expects

Solly-- you outta ruck.

The "style" numbers suggests to MOI, The Quincy Of Collecting? that the very same engraver did BOTH this :sleep::sleep: piece AND the one McDaniel shows on page 75.

It's...

a Red Banner. :sleep: