News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Order for Service to the Homeland in the Armed Forces of the USSR

I have a very rare and unique 1st class Order for Service to the Homeland in the Armed Forces of the USSR. Like some good orders and medals in my constantly expanding collection the purchase was near an accident, because the guy who was selling it didn't really know what he was selling and I was pretty sure that I was buying a 2nd class order. It happened that only 13 orders exist and the one that I have is #11. I am certain that this particular order is genuine and noteworthy. The austrian guy, that sold it to me, originally bought this piece in Moscow back in 1990 from an officer.

Known cavaliers:

• Lieutenant General IK Kolodyazhny (11.02.1982)
    • Major General VP Shcherbakov (02/11/1982)
    • Colonel General IG Zavialov (16/02/1982)
    • Captain 1st grade VA Poroshin (02/16/1982)
    • Colonel GK Loshkarev (17/05/1982)
    • Lieutenant General A. Borowski (12/27/1982)
    • Captain 1st grade A. Kazakov (27/12/1982)
    • Colonel M. Orlov (27/12/1982)
    • Major General of Internal Troops A. Verevkin (03/01/1989)
    • Admiral Vladimir Sergeev (05/05/1989)
    • Colonel Boris Agapov (24/05/1989)
    • Colonel General GF Baidukov (25.05.1987)
    • Colonel General Achalov VA (02/22/1990)

Check out the pictures.

Scan1-1.jpg

Scan2-1.jpg

2nd class #0736 that I also have in my posession:

Scan3-1.jpg

Edited by Mogul

Now that is amazing!! I have never seen such a low numbered order. I cannot verify the authenticity, but I am impressed! I wonder what amazing things the Senior Captains did to earn this distinction, reserved for more senior officers.

Trust me, it's authentic, I've seen some good fakes, but they don't come close. It's in the weight, it's in the built, it's in those small, but very sharp details that a scanner can't make visible.

Trust me, it's authentic, I've seen some good fakes, but they don't come close. It's in the weight, it's in the built, it's in those small, but very sharp details that a scanner can't make visible.

If authentic, then yet another infinitely impressive find! Has this piece been discussed on any of the Russian collector's forums? And have you tried archival research?

Edited by RedMaestro

If authentic, then yet another infinitely impressive find! Has this piece been discussed on any of the Russian collector's forums? And have you tried archival research?

Here is the thing about forums in Russia. Most visitors and members of these communities never ever had a chance to see something like that or buy anything like that because of many reasons. The experts say that this one is real and by experts I mean military personnel that had a chance to hold one of these in their arms. Forget about russian forums - it's a waste of time, these "experts" might have read a few books here and there, but the book is not a substitute for the real thing.

As you might know, most of these pieces were exported from Russia in late 80s and early 90s, because officers were really selling these things to buy some food on the market if there was any. It's very hard to find a genuine Suvorov or Nakhimov in Russia, because most of them got exported. Most of my stuff came from Austria, Germany, UK and all the previous owners got them in the late 80s Moscow. You just can't imagine the poverty that happened here, no wonder people were trying to sell something/anything.

I'm not into researching the original owners of my possessions. If something comes with a story, then it's all good in my book, but if it doesn't have any story to tell, then it's fine by me.

This is so fake. What are you talking about? Whole reverse was buffed off.

I knew Vasiliy Poroshin personally and I had a chance to peak his awards. Mine looks identical, but with some minor wear.

Edited by Mogul

Mogul, the purpose of the fakers is to fool collectors. That's why the fakes look like original. I'm the expert in this field. If you want to send me better pictures on olezha11@aol.com, I'll be able to help you. Or, you can try to ask on Russian speacking forums.

Mogul, the purpose of the fakers is to fool collectors. That's why the fakes look like original. I'm the expert in this field. If you want to send me better pictures on olezha11@aol.com, I'll be able to help you. Or, you can try to ask on Russian speacking forums.

I can't see any red marks anywhere. It looks legit and it feels legit, silver is silver, enamel is enamel.

The better fakes are made of real silver and real hot enamel, and of course they have the correct weight. In this case it's the reverse and especially the serial number that is off.

I don't get it, the silver is real, the enamel is real and what's wrong with the number?

This is not how a Soviet mint engraver would have engraved it. The shape is off and it's too shallow. Have a look here, they don't have a 1st Class pictured but it gives you an idea: http://mondvor.narod.ru/OZaSlRod.html

Plus, things that seem to be too good to be true usually are. If you got this for under the market value that is a red mark. Do you really think the seller couldn't tell the difference between a 2nd and 3rd Class? Deals like these could happen with a rare variation of an award like the Order of the Red Star, but not with a Homeland 1st Class. If the piece was real, the seller must have paid a fortune for it and wouldn't have sold it to you for a low price.

Edited by Ferdinand

This is not how a Soviet mint engraver would have engraved it. The shape is off and it's too shallow. Have a look here, they don't have a 1st Class pictured but it gives you an idea: http://mondvor.narod.ru/OZaSlRod.html

Plus, things that seem to be too good to be true usually are. If you got this for under the market value that is a red mark. Do you really think the seller couldn't tell the difference between a 2nd and 3rd Class? If the piece was real, the seller must have paid a fortune for it and wouldn't have sold it to you for a low price.

1. The shape on the picture is defined by my scanner and it does some poor job, I must say.

2. I bought this one from a guy, that had no intention to lie, I know him well and we conduct deals two-three times a year, he is a very serious art & antique dealer, no fools here.

3. I know the idea, because I personally know a full cavalier.

They take an original Servise to the Motherland 3rd class, and make 1st class out of it by adding gold plating and fake serial number.

And how does it concern me? My serial number looks legit, I see no problem here.