News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hello,

Well since i normally like Zinky things with wings i am happy to learn something whenever possible over the older days (pre 1918) whenever possible, as we might never stop learning.

Can someone explain (and show) me the difference within the so called "Dienst Auszeichnungen" from arround 1900 from the state of W?rttemberg? Wich grades does exist, etc ... etc ...

Cordial greetings, :cheeky:

Edited by Stijn David

Hello Stijn,

Consulted a little booklet (Nimmergut catalog) and found these mentioned :

- Dienstehrenzeichen 1833-1839

- Dienstehrenzeichen 1. Klasse f?r Offiziere f?r 25 Dienstjahre (gilt),

----- 1st Model, 1833-1850, cypher "W"

----- 2nd Model, 1850-1864, cypher "W"

----- 3rd Model, 1864-1891, cypher "K"

----- 4th Model, 1891-1918, cypher "W", reverse "F?r treue Dienste"

- Dienstehrenzeichen 2. Klasse f?r Unteroffiziere und Mannschaften f?r 20 Dienstjahre (silver)

----- 1st Model, 1833-1850

----- 2nd Model, 1850-1864

----- 3rd Model, 1864-1891

----- 4th Model, 1891-1918

- Dienstalterszeichen f?r 30 Jahre (Schnalle 1851-1870)

- Dienstalterszeichen f?r 24 Jahre

- Dienstalterszeichen f?r 18 Jahre

- Dienstalterszeichen f?r 12 Jahre

- Dienstalterszeichen f?r 6 Jahre

- Milit?r-Dienstauszeichnung 1. Klasse, 1st Model (Schnalle) 1874-1892, cypher "KR"

- Milit?r-Dienstauszeichnung 2. Klasse, 1st Model (Schnalle) 1874-1892

- Milit?r-Dienstauszeichnung 1. Klasse, 2nd Model (Schnalle) 1892-1913, cypher "WR"

- Milit?r-Dienstauszeichnung 2. Klasse, 2nd Model (Schnalle) 1892-1913

- Milit?r-Dienstauszeichnung 1. Klasse, 3rd Model (Cross)

- Milit?r-Dienstauszeichnung 2. Klasse, 3rd Model (Medal)

- Milit?r-Dienstauszeichnung 3. Klasse, 3rd Model (Medal)

- Landwehr-Dienstauszeichnung 1. Klasse, 1st Model (Schnalle), cypher "K"

- Landwehr-Dienstauszeichnung 2. Klasse, 1st Model (Schnalle)

- Landwehr-Dienstauszeichnung 1. Klasse, 2nd Model (Cross), cypher "W"

- Landwehr-Dienstauszeichnung 2. Klasse, 2nd Model (Schnalle)

- Landwehr-Dienstauszeichnung 2. Klasse, 3rd Model (Medal)

As you can see, a pretty impressive list and it would indeed be nice to see pictures to go with this list and possibly some more dates to complete the issue periods ...

Hello Hendrik,

Thank you for the info, indeed quite a impressive listing. :jumping:

Anyone have the lust to show these of ? certainly the periode between lets say 1890 and 1918 is from interest + this might become a nice and informative thread for sure :rolleyes:

Thanks in advance,

Hello,

Thank you Tom, much appreciated :blush:

Is the "Regular Army 3rd Class, 9 Year 1917-21" awarded to all ranks?, both officers and regulars soldiers?

Cordila greetings,

Hello everyone:

The nine (9) year service medal was awarded to enlisted soldiers. This medal was made from iron and it should be magnetic. The 1913-16 pieces are made from argentan (a silver-coloured, non-silver alloy). As the war progressed, the Kingdom of W?rttemburg (and other German states) stopped using more valuble metals for these pieces and switched to iron which was more common (less-needed for war-related production) and cheaper.

I hope that this helps!

Schie?platzmeister

Hello,

Thank you for the info, can you point me out what a officer should be able to receive during his career? (assuming that he already was a officer when he was eligable to recieve such a DA)

Thanks in advance,

Hello again:

An active duty officer would definately receive a 25 year service cross if he had the proper amount of total time in service. This cross was made from gilded-bronze, and had a "W" (with green enamel) for King Wilhelm II surrounded by a wreath on the obverse center medallion.

Is there anyone out there that can post a photo/scan of this piece for Stijn? Stogieman, I am sure that you could add a lot here regarding what combinations of service time could lead up to an officer's 25 year service award (reserve, active, combat, etc.). There may already be another thread which covered the Prussian regulations which were probably analogous to those for W?rttemberg.

Thanks,

Schie?platzmeister

[attachmentid=25841]Hello folks: Here is a photo of the obverse of the 1892-1918 Officer's 25 Year Service Cross. Notice that the "W" does NOT have enamel (my earlier comment was erroneous) and the wreath DOES have green enamel. The center of the cross appears to be made of silver judging by the patinae and it is definitely a separate piece. The cross arms are finely stippled and the raised edges of cross arms are polished.

Schie?platzmeister

[attachmentid=26522]

Hello folks:

Here is a W?rttemberg Landwehr Service Award 1st Class. These were awarded from 1891 until 1921. The cross has a silver body and a separate center which is made from gilded-silver. These pieces are a lot less common than the OEK price would indicate. The reverse center has "XX" in the center for twenty years of service. The reverse is made of one piece of silver and has no gilding. These crosses were apparently awarded to Landwehr Officers and doctors with an acceptable amount of service time.

Thanks,

"SPM"

Edited by Schie?platzmeister