News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Revolver for Identification

John Burchell

I would greatly appreciate advice and comments on an old revolver which I have just acquired. It appears to be a very early .45 calibre, cartridge-loading revolver and old enough, I think, that it is not considered a restricted weapon so the gun laws should not apply...at least here in Canada!

The barrel is 4-1/2 inches long and the revolver overall measures 9-1/2 inches. British-made, perhaps? Hallmarks/proofmarks are visible on the cylinder, being the letters "ELG" or "ELC" above a small star within a circle, surmounted at the top by what appears to be a letter "J". Below that is a letter "L" surmounted by a crown.

It was obviously at one time rusted/corroded and cleaned-up...but fortunately the detailed scrollwork-engraving remains.

Underneath the black, bakelite (?) grips (showing no cracks or other damage) are stampings to the metal in two places, partly illegible, but what looks like "I D" or "MD", perhaps? This appears to be repeated at one spot on the barrel but only faintly visible just in front of the cylinder.

The spring and firing mechanisms are still in working order from what I can tell. Interesting to me is that there is no firing pin on the hammer. It would appear that the cartridges were detonated somehow through the rectangular opening directly above each of the six cartridge cylinders. I would certainly not try firing it due to the age and metal fatigue factor.

Once I have some details I will try and research a value for this revolver...unless a member would be kind enough to also mention that.

Thanks and regards,

John

Edited by John Burchell

Danke vielmals! Uwe. Thank you so much for the quick response. The link provides quite a bit of clarifying information and gives me a good basis for further research. However, perhaps some other knowledgeable members can chime-in with feedback zeroing-in on the maker, period and country of manufacture....and perhaps an estimate of approximate value.

Cheers and thanks, again,

John

Edited by John Burchell

And, I believe you're right about the legality, John. The relevant law seems to include under 'antique firearms' the following:

HANDGUNS

6. A handgun manufactured before 1898 that is capable of discharging only rim-fire cartridges, other than 22 Calibre Short, 22 Calibre Long or 22 Calibre Long Rifle cartridges.

It seems, looking at the photos, that yours is unlikely to be made for 22 calibre [ie. commonly available ammo.] so it would seem to be 'antique' and therefore not legally a firearm.

Good luck with the further research!

Peter

Thanks, Chris. Very long time, no see...not since you lived over in the Fatherland! Nice to have your input from this side of the pond.

Now I have sufficient information to research and try to put a value on this "pinhead"!

• 2 weeks later...