News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

How common is US Distinguished Service Medal to Red Army soldiers?

To get back to the original question: How common is the DSM to Soviet Army personnel?

I don;t have any statistics, but as background, it is very unusual for the DSM to be awarded to junior personnel, US or foreign. I've never heard of it. It is much more typically awarded to general officers. Perhaps during WW II, the usage was different, but I'm doubtful. Are you convinced of the authenticity of the document / photo? Can you show us the rest of the document?

Hugh

Indeed these are very scare.

The only photo example that I can remember is soviet ace Pokryshkin (very strange award for an ace especially in light of the original criteria "for exceptionally meritous service to the US Government in a duty of great responsibility")

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php/topic/54851-soviet-ace-of-aces-pokryshkin-and-his-awards/

Looks like Legion of merit was the most common award for senior soviet officers.

Regards,

Nick

Edited by JapanX

Thats amazing info! But because I am not collector of Soviet award, that piece of paper found his way to my mate collection with the price what I paid... lets say it was cheaper then random Annivearseary medal on some regular online shop!

Regards of Pokryshkin, I read his book "Poznat seja v boju" and I must say it was one of the most interesting readings what I have had!