News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Non assuming Navy 5 medal bar with surprises

army historian

New find Navy 5 medal mounted bar:

Navy Good Conduct bar suspension named “John J. Fitzpatrick 1945” with 3 stars (15 years – 42 to 45 only 3 years)

American Campaign Medal

Asiatic Pacific Campaign Medal

Navy WW2 Occupation Medal (missing bar Asia)

China Service Medal (extended)

A lose: WW2 Victory Medal

Note from seller: "The family of a deceased long time Navy Man sold a seabag full of items to an Antique Dealer. Before I got to them he had split it all up and only had this 5 place rack with the separate Victory Medal. (He had them priced very high or they would probably have been gone also). There is an old style named Navy Good Conduct Medal (with straight bar above medal it was discontinued after WWII) with small 3 bronze star devices and engraved on the reverse "John J. Fitzpatrick 1945", also a Navy China Service, a Navy Occupation Service and a Asiatic Pacific Campaign, and a American Campaign. The Victory Medal is by itself."

"With 1945 engraved it would be his first award based upon a 1942 enlistment, 3 stars indicate award in 1948, 1951, and 1954. If he really was a 20 + year sailor, then that would mean he served not only in WWII but during the Korean War as well as early Vietnam. I wish I had more info on him but the antique dealer did not get any history except he was in about 20 years, so this will be a good research project for you."

My research: John J. Fitzpatrick – no American Defense in service after 7 Dec. 1941. He has 3 stars on Good Conduct – at least 20 year career. His middle name was James. Group came from Ocala, Florida – where this man died.

One candidate:

Enlisted 7 Sept. 1942 to 23 Aug. 1962

Veteran Admin Burial Index:

Name: John Fitzpatrick

Birth Date: 22 Jun 1924

Death Date: 9 Jan 1982

SSN: 145122691

Branch 1: NAVY

Enlistment Date 1: 7 Sep 1942

Release Date 1: 23 Aug 1962

This is the best and only one that fits. From Musters name is John James Fitzpatrick, 225 06 26.

Florida death index:

Name: John James Fitzpatrick

Death Date: 9 Jan 1982

County of Death: Alachua

State of Death: Florida

Age at Death: 57

Race: White

Birth Date: 22 Jun 1924

Social security Death Index:

Name: John Fitzpatrick

SSN: 145-12-2691

Born: 22 Jun 1924

Last Benefit: 32675 Ocala, Marion, Florida, United States of America

Died: Jan 1982

State (Year) SSN issued: New Jersey (Before 1951)

Enlistment date matches Navy Musters below:

Report of Change USS St. Louis CL-49 – 30 Nov 1942

Name Service # Rate Date of Enl Place of Enl

Fitzpatrick, John James 225 06 26 AS 30 Nov 1942 New York, NY

21. USN Rec 11-5-42 Rec. from USNTS Great Lakes, Ill.

Navy Muster Roll of crew of USS St. Louis CL-49 – 31 Dec 1942 Date First

Name Service # Rate Date of Enlistment Received Onboard

Fitzpatrick, John James 225 06 26 AS 7 Sep 1942 11-5-1942

First entry “Date of Enl” incorrect in bold.

Served on the USS St. Louis CL-49 from Nov. 1942 to Apr. 1946. He earned 9 Campaign Stars on his Asiatic Pacific Campaign Medal, and the Navy Unit Citation (St. Louis). This also verifies the other medals in the group. Served on the USS Yancey AKA-93 as RM2 Oct. 1946 to 21 Jan 1947 – transferred to USS Mount Olympus AGC-8 21 Jan. 1947 to 14 Apr 1947. Then returns to Yancey and later to USS Edisto AG-89 (Ice Breaker). All three ships Served in Operation Highjump the Navy Antarctic mission organized by RADM Richard E. Byrd Jr. USN, (Ret), Officer in Charge, Task Force 68, and led by RADM Richard H. Cruzen, USN, Commanding Officer, Task Force 68. Operation Highjump commenced 26 August 1946 and ended in late February 1947. Task Force 68 included 4,700 men, 13 ships, and multiple aircraft. The primary mission of Operation Highjump was to establish the Antarctic research base Little America IV. The Antarctica Service Medal was established in 1960, ribbon authorized 1961, and the medal was awarded in 1963. Fitzpatrick was entitled to the Antarctica Service Medal, National Defense with star, and the Philippine Liberation Medal with star. I need more research for other possible entitlements such as Korea and Vietnam.

Thanks Peter and Irishgunner, yes never know whats in an antique store. He was a Radioman 2nd as far as I have researched (1947). I am not worried about "missing" medals. I can display the missing ones as separates as his WW2 Victory. Here are a couple of pictures of Fitzpatrick.

Edited by army historian

Hello Paul R. - the medals or ribbons entitlements did exist while he was still active. He served from 1942 to 1962. The Antarctica Service Medal was established in 1960, ribbon authorized 1961, and the medal was awarded in 1963. Fitzpatrick was entitled to the Antarctica Service Medal, National Defense with star, and the Philippine Liberation Medal with star. I need more research for other possible entitlements such as Korea and Vietnam. I do agree that things like the Sea Service ribbon etc. should not be added. I am pretty sure he at least got the Antarctica Service Medal ribbon, a big deal was made out the creation of the "Medal" and Operation Highjump at that time. George

Edited by army historian

Yes Paul, I have been meaning to respond to you (I typed a paragraph and hit the wrong key and lost it all). Any way a few things I have noticed about "mounted" Navy groups. First of all contrary to some collectors and ex-navy types options, many sailors did not wear everything. Although when ordered to wear all the medals for formal occasions, many did not. Like Fitzpatrick's group he chose not to wear the WW2 Victory, although he received it prior to the China Service (extended) and Occupation Medal. He also had the National Defense Medal with star for a long time, and never had his group remounted. I am still waiting for NPRC to send me Fitzpatrick's record of service, I believe he had the Korean Service and the UN Korea medals. I have seen unmounted groups, and everything in between. Many sailors and even officers did not mount all their medals. I guess once you had a 5 medal bar, you just left it that way unless you got a Commendation Medal or something higher. George