News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Seems to be a nice one!

The oaks to the EK as well as the battle clasps were introduced at the 25th jubilee of the 1870 war in 1895 and had to be acquired by the wearer himself.

The "50" for the Red Eagle order (and General Honour awards, and Royal Crown order, and House order of Hohenzollern) is something completely different. Instituted oin 1851, they were given, if the decoration was awarded on occasion of a service jubilee.

The "50"s aren't common but neither to unusual, but they also come as "60"s and - in very, very few cases - as "70"s on different grades of the mentioned orders and decorations. We probably all can imagine there were not many that had 70 years of service.... Jubilee numbers "65" are seen on the market, but there's no proof they ever existed actually - they are probably modern fakes.

However, all of them are faked, of course, and added to good or not so good awards.

Saschaw and redeagleorder,

Thank you for your comments and information.

Saschaw: I still have a question on the 50 Jubilee on the Red Eagle Order. I am assuming this was issued in 1901. What do you mean when you said "was awarded on occasion of Jubilee service"? Did the wearer of the bar still have to be in military service in 1901 to get the 50th Jubilee of the Red Eagle Order?

Dean

Saschaw: I still have a question on the 50 Jubilee on the Red Eagle Order. I am assuming this was issued in 1901. What do you mean when you said "was awarded on occasion of Jubilee service"? Did the wearer of the bar still have to be in military service in 1901 to get the 50th Jubilee of the Red Eagle Order?

Why in 1901? Do you know whose bar this is, did it come with a document? If not, I don't see a way to see if this RAO was awarded in 1890 or in 1910...

It's a peace time order that went to military as well as to civilians, so one cannot be sure. I'm not seeing anything that indicates he still was in military service then, like a long service award, so I assume it was his civil (state) job he got it for after 50 years of service.

The RAO4 with the "50" was awarded as late as at least 1918, so he could have entered the civil service as late as 1868. Possibly a few years earlier, though, since if he was in the civil service during the war, there was a good chance to get the Prussian Merit Cross for War Aid. But as Sascha says, it could be many years earlier.

The combination of clasps on the KDM70/71 fits several regiments. We can probably rule out the Bavarian regiments (5., 6., 7. & 14. IRs and 7. & 14. ChevRs), so that leaves FR 37 from West Prussia, IR 50 from Lower Silesia, IR 59 from Posen, FR 80, IR 82, JägB 11, and HR 14 from Kurhessen, and IR 87 and IR 88 from Nassau (except for I./IR 88 and II./IR 88, which qualified for the MONT VALERIEN clasp).

If I had to guess, I would say he was from one of the Kurhessen or Nassau regiments. That's only because of the likelihood he was of age in 1866 but doesn't have an 1866 cross. That's not 100%, just a guess. He could have been from one of the Prussian regiments and just missed out on being mobilized in 1866.

Gentleman,

Thank you for the information. I have no documentation on this bar. I thought maybe the 50 on Red Eagle Order was awarded in the 50th anniversary of the institution of the medal which would have been in 1901 or after. I have now learned the 50 was for years of service in the civilian sector. There is a Kaiser Centenary medal, so I thought the Red Eagle Order maybe awarded as a military decoration, but as stated above, the absence of a long service makes that improbable.

Dean