News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

CANADIAN Issued German Honour Cross Certificate

I received an early Christmas gift at a recent military show in Toronto and wanted to share it with anyone who might be interested.

Scan2.jpeg

I consider myself very fortunate to have acquired this Certificate (with the medal) and believe it's survival to be very rare! :jumping:

Note that the Certificate (and medal) were awarded to Johann ILLIG while he was living in Toronto, Ontario and that the issuing authority was

DER DEUTSCHE GENERAL KONSUL FUER KANADA UND NEWFUNDLAND. :D

Johann ILLIG probably came to Canada sometime between 1923 and 1930 and was living in Toronto with his wife Anna. She was Canadian born (in Neustadt, Ontario) but of German descent.

Johann was born in 1895 and Anna in 1897. Unfortunately, I do not yet have death dates.

The Certificate was signed by Dr.Ludwig Kempff (1872-1937) who was German Consul for Canada headquartered in Montreal from 1922 to 1937. Their office was located at 317 Keefer Building in Montreal.

Kempf was born in Altenessen in the Rheinland and was a career diplomat and the top German representative in Canada from 1933 to 1937. He died suddenly in 1937.

The issue of the Ehrenkreuz with the accompanying Certificate, like so many others, was probably ILLIG's only recognition of his service for his country during The Great War.

I would be very interested in hearing if other Certificates from countries other than Germany have survived.

Cheers,

Gar

I have one issued from new York. Interestingly- note the issue number...#35 in 1935. I suspect issue lists exist for these in the german Diplomatic archives- which survived the war in tact. Maybe even in the Canadian archives, as the embassies were usually occupied on the first day of the war.

• 4 weeks later...