News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Heavy EK2

Dear fellow forum members,

I recently purchased my third 1914 EK2, and I immediately noticed it was way heavier than the other two. Also, the design of the core and the core itself seems to be thicker. Furthermore, the edges of the frame seem to be 'sharper' or rougher cut. The weight of this cross is 20 grams and the weight of the other two is 17 to 18 grams. Does one of you know how to explain the difference?

It's the 'dark' slightly eroded one in the pictures, the one in my hand.

Thanks in advance for the replies!

Edited by Nick

There can be a lot of difference in ww1 crosses.

An early cross with a silver frame and cast iron core will

weigh more than one with a stamped thin sheet metal core or

one with a thinner or non-silver frame.

Dwayneski, thanks for sharing your crosses first of all! There is such an infinite variety of 1914 crosses. As Greg says, materials vary greatly from the core to the frames also the dimensions so it really is often very difficult to be definitive. It is a nice uncleaned cross and I like the photo of the three together.

There is a lot of really good EK knowledge here so I hope you will enjoy sharing your crosses and knowledge.

All the best

Thanks for your usefull replies! I am not at home right now, but I will make better pictures when I get there tomorrow. I think this latest cross is certainly my favourite, also because it is not cleaned.

Do you guys have any idea when the book is going to be published? Although I don't have the means to purchase lots of new crosses in the near future (I'm a student still), I would certainly be interested.

It was dark already when I got home today, so the pictures are not very good. I will make more pictures tomorrow when there is daylight.

And I found another cross today, and couldn't resist to buying it for the price of whole 10 euros. It only misses its ring.

Do you guys have any idea when the book is going to be published? Although I don't have the means to purchase lots of new crosses in the near future (I'm a student still), I would certainly be interested.

Hi,

A new German one is coming out soon, and a FFew of us have been working on a new English language work, just waiting to see what the German language one brings before recalibrating our direction...

The core design of your cross is the same as one of the variations

used by the company "Sy-Wagner" and also by "Wagner and Sohn". It

may also be used by others but this will give you a place to start

your search.

• 1 month later...