News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

German KS 98 rare police bayonet by A. Wingen jr Solingen. Help (original or not)

I have that bayonet in my collection. I know the bayonet is original, because I have 3 different bayonets of the same maker marks. This one is most unusual, it has lug slot, but doesn't have press button or attaching device. So can somebody let me know if that eagle is supposed to be there. And what is this slot for, if there's no release button. Thank you

Edited by Bogdansotnik24

So this was made to never be fixed to a rifle.?

Hi,

From the moment German officers packed away their swords in early WW1, and recieved an order to wear something shorter, German blade makers began churning out private purchase piece KS98.... They probably never stopped.

The Private purchase ones seldom fit on a rifle.

This is one of those, either sold as a dress bayonet with the eagle, or having an eagle added. Maybe someone knows when the maker used to stamp his name like this? Some changed over time how they applied their names?

KS98 Dress/Parade bayonets without attachment devices in the pommel were manufacturered for the use by the police, so this bayo is correct in that regard. The grip rivets look to be unmessed with, so is it possible to see if the badge is glued or attached by means of prongs through the grip.... as lot of these KS98's were upgraded with attachments/etchings post-war to increase values.