News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Japanese Orders in Tamatebako Miyake (Boxes for Nobles and Foreigners)

JapanX

• 1 year later...
    • Replies 206
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 03/11/2016 at 06:20, JapanX said:

:beer: 

By the way, it`s interesting how they tried to translate his name Fournon in japanese.

In document we see 

佛蘭西國人 (France / France people )

and his name in katakana 

フIルノソヲ

Not very close :)

I would expect something like  

フォアノン

Cheers,

Nick

Hello Nick,

With respect, the katakana is accurate: フールノン [fuurunon].  ヲ is the katakana for the particle "wo"; today the hiragana for the particle を is used.

I really appreciate reading this entire page.  I recently bought a 4th class tamatebukuro, but it is in poor condition without the insert and the ties have been replaced.  Now I know what it is.  I suppose it will make a good jewelry box!  (^__^)

Cheers,

-- Guy Power

a.jpeg

b.jpg

c.jpg

Hi Nick, and thanks for the response.  The kanji are so faded -- it looks like someone tried to polish them and the original color is mostly gone.  I think I see traces of gold, though.  If they were silver, what would that indicate; a more precise date of manufacture?

I'm giving this to a friend who collects Japanese medals .... will it be a good present?  It cost me $20 as I recall.

Thanks,

-- Guy

Edited by ghp95134

39 minutes ago, ghp95134 said:

If they were silver, what would that indicate; a more precise date of manufacture?

That would be very strange since all cases that I`ve seen (or own) have gold kanji.

39 minutes ago, ghp95134 said:

I'm giving this to a friend who collects Japanese medals .... will it be a good present?  It cost me $20 as I recall.

No doubt about it ;)

Best,

Nick

• 3 years later...

Dear Gentlemen,

A tamatebako (玉手箱) is a "jeweled hand box", "jewel box", "jeweled box", "treasure box", "casket" etc..

In the Japanese folk tale "Urashima Tarō", the hero, Urashima Tarō, receives a tamatebako from the mistress of the sea (Otohime), after his stay at the Dragon Palace (or Hōrai), to which he was invited after saving a turtle.

image.png.3129161c5db05e0327c8b6b76158c96b.png

ghp95134 wrote:

"Hello Nick,

With respect, the katakana is accurate: フールノン [fuurunon].  ヲ is the katakana for the particle "wo"; today the hiragana for the particle を is used."

He is right:

image.png.f3d3e949e2b81d62a243202dd0a77e42.png

Yours sincerely,

No one