News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Steel Helmets ... Lets see yours

There are vast amounts of captured German, both WWI and WWII items floating around in collections. You see doughboy groups with items in them, but rarely do I ever find one with a history behind the captured item in question. I was lucky enough to find this helmet, and get the story behind it. The helmet was given to the collector I received it from by the Doughboy himself. Percy Totten was a member of F company, 126th Infantry, US 32nd Division. The 126th Infantry was originally made up of men from Michigan, as was the 125th Infantry. Percy was in every major engagement of the 32nd division.

Right before the armistice was signed, Percy was ordered on a Trench Raid. This would have been around early November. The 32nd division was brought out of the Argonne Offensive in October for rest. Then it was ordered to support the 5th Division. The 126th Infantry was in support at this point, of the 128th Infantry who was in contact with the Germans. Percy's platoon, was ordered to get prisoners to see what the German's were doing. (Headquarters had originally thought the Germans at this time were pulling back, and sent the 128th Infantry into an ambush.) They took three prisoners on the raid, and Percy was assigned to take them to headquarters. On the way, he took this helmet off a German trooper, and sent it home to his mother. You can still see where the postage stamp was placed.

The helmet is a nice brown, black bordered cammo pattern. I am attempting to figure out what German unit this might have come from. It would have been situated to the right of the 5th Division. Anyone have any ideas?

The photo below is of Percy himself, just returned to Brooklyn Michigan after occupation duties in Germany.

• 1 year later...

This is a nice Camo from between Verdun and St Mihiel... I must chech the maker when i get home. What is cool about this, and maybe the same for all originals? The green paint underneath is in really good condition. ie. noone took a piece of crp and repainted it cammo... on the inside of the skirt it is a bit used, a number of names scratched off, just a MGK possible to read...

Another in Camo. I have a few others somewhere around here. I'm a bit concerned as I have 5 and can only find 2!!! I'm admitting to myself and my wife that its too much to keep. i have to part with my not WW1 items as I have too much. A person must decide to focus on an area. If he cant narrow to a certain point of interest he should at least focus on a specific war...

• 7 months later...