News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

FATHER AND SON GROUPS - LATEST PURCHASE

Good Morning Everyone......

I have posted this on other forms so is for your information just incase you have not seen them.......

Saturday I attended the local Calgary Gun Show.......

My prize purchase for the day was a Father and Son grouping of medals (13 in all)......

Now here is the question......

They ALL the silver medals have been chrome plated and the bronze ones it has been suggested are gold.......

I have been running the following questions on BMF with a variety of answers.....

What is your opinion on plating??????

Do you think that it will affect the value of the medals??????

Remember we are looking at the man not the medals......

Mike

P.S. Here are the groups:

FATHER:

QSA - 3924 PTE. G. PARKYN 6th DRAGOON GUARDS ( CC, OFS, JOH, D.H., BELFAST)
    KSA - 3924 PTE. G. PARKYN 6th DRAGOON GUARDS ( S.A. 01 / 02)
    1914 STAR (NO BAR) - 3924 PTE. G. PARKYN 6th DRAGOON GUARDS
    BWM - 6DG-3924 PTE. G. PARKYN 6th DRAGOON GUARDS ( INTERESTING NUMBERING )
    VICTORY - 6DG-3924 PTE. G. PARKYN 6th DRAGOON GUARDS ( INTERESTING NUMBERING )

SON:

1939-45 STAR
    ATLANTIC STAR
    AFRICA STAR - NORTH AFRICA BAR
    BURMA STAR - PACIFIC STAR
    ITALY STARY
    WAR MEDAL - WITH MID (London Gazette September 8th, 1942)
    RNLSGC (KGVI) - MX 47967 H. T. PARKYN C.E.R.A. H.M.S. EURYALUS
    CANADIAN FORCES DECORATION - C.P.O. 2/c H.T. PARKYN

Since posting I have obtained a lot of information with regards the numbering and even now have a picture of the son.......

Mike

First of all, awesome family sets! My compliments on an AWESOME find! :jumping:

Secondly... About the plating (dipping, anodizing, etc)... I have dozens of Commonwealth medals that were plated, including Victorian Era ones (I can hear the cringing from here)... Many will not buy them and in the same wave of their all knowing wands will dismiss them as ruined. I don't agree... Although I prefer a medal "dans son jus", I will not stop myself from a purchase if said medal is plated and can't honestly imagine any tangible proof of devaluation save some people won't want one.

I think Frank is correct: some people consider it an abomination, others don't care much at all.

I tend to the first view, though I would rather phrase it as "We'd rather you didn't, old chap." than 'Die, heretic!" but it is a personal preference.

I suspect however, that plating lowers the value of the group. Impossible to say by how much, but it certainly doesn't turn a good group or medal to dreck. Certainly for the purist collectors and perhaps if one were auctioning them, as auction houses tend to hew the museum and numismatic line: any deliberate alteration is a BAD THING!

On the other hand, a father son set will always be sale-able, so I wouldn't lose in sleep over it. They're for your collection, so if you like them, that's what counts.

Peter

Purist will say that they devalue a group and to a certain extent that might be the case. But if the group is special, rare or has gallantry awards attached I would say that it matters not.

Certain Countries are more accepting of this practise than others. Canada uses silver quite a lot - as does Sth. Africa - they both have the

resources. Most British awards are also silver. What I don't understand is why anyone would chrome a silver issue - and why gild

a Bronze medal ?

This is an exceptional pair of groups but, in my opinion their value has been depressed. Hard to say by how much - they are still

collectable. Probably to a lesser extent in Canada then if they were to be offered in Britain. Mervyn

Very nice Mike :cheers: They have a Gun show in January?

Larry

Good Morning Larry......

Yes they normally have a one dayer in mid-January, the big 3 day show Easter long weekwend and another one dayer in mid October.....

Mike

Hello Mike

Many thanks for the info. Are the one dayers fairly large, and in the same place as well?

Larry

Hi Again Larry......

They are not bad about 150 to 175 tables, a lot of military collectors, some come from eastern and western Canada and US this last one from 0930 to about 1300 the place was packed..... No it is held in a local community center...... The Thorncliff/Greenview Center........ They have not announced the October show dates yet.....

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Plating doesn't bother me, but I sold a Canadian group that had been plated, mounted and worn to a prominent dealer in the UK who said they'd have been worth more if they weren't plated. It's very odd to me that it would make a difference.