News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Is there any sure way to tell the difference between the KM badge and the post war badge used by the German Navy.? It seems to me to be exactly the same.

Check this one, I do not see the difference between this and the Bundesmarine badges. John

There is no difference between the wartime and postwar versions I'm afraid. The postwar type made by Assmann for the Bundesmarine is the type with the single flat prong made, it would appear, by using the same tooling as the wartime one. As it doesn't feature a swastika in the design there was no need to alter it.

The main diference is in the finish which will be brighter , but any made during the early days of the Bundesmarine will by now have naturally toned down quite well. The postwar ones usually have the Assmann "A" logo though. The combination of the "A" on a newish looking example warrants caution, but all three of the examples shown above look OK.

thanks Gordon. The badge on top is mine and is to sell on another forum.

jacques

I have a Bundesmarine version by Assmann which I will scan later. It seems the same as yours but is of course very new looking and shiny, with the Assmann "A" mark. I guess yours is the original wartime Assmann pattern that the later one was based on. This is the type worn on the wartime photo above, with the wide prong being inserted into the buttonhole of the jacket lapel. Also I note that on yours the bronze tombak colour shows through the fire gilding, the new postwar ones are of course brass, not tombak.

• 2 months later...

[attachmentid=35468]Here is mine, for comments, please. I believe it to be a wartime period-repaired watch badge. It would appear that the original needle-type pin attachment hardware was replaced by a shorter, wide and flat prong. One can see in the 6 o'clock position where the retaining clasp for the earlier needle pin used to be. I believe that there is tomback showing through in a couple of the high-relief worn areas, eg. the bottom of the anchor.

Regards,

John

Edited by John Burchell

I have no idea on these badges anymore, however, it does not seem to match what Michel has already provided in the points he made with the above badge comparing it to the photo. Especially the little tab sticking up in the ring of the anchor.

I just think that the badge is so close to the post war badges that you might as well be on the safer side and try to find one similar to the one Michel has posted.

John

Judging from Gordon's comments above, ie.: "The postwar type made by Assmann for the Bundesmarine is the type with the single flat prong...." and "The main diference is in the finish which will be brighter..." also "The postwar ones usually have the Assmann "A" logo....", NOR/Andre's badge would appear to be Bundesmarine. The logo looks identical to the one on John R's postwar one above.

I am hopeful that mine can hopefully be judged as being a period-repaired piece, with the wide flat (albeit shorter) prong having been added to replace the needle with lugs or clasp.

John B.

Edited by John Burchell