News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Modern Ribbon. Why?

Thank you, John.  Good to know that someone is going the extra mile to make the right stuff!  I occasionally patronize Wydean Weaving, who have been making regimental lace and such for more than a century and its always good to know that not everything has been driven out of the market by the 'almost as good' offshore stuff.  For some things there is no substitute! 

I was glad this topic was brought back to the top as I had not seen it before. I detest the new weave crappy unwatered modern ribbon. IMO it takes a nice trio and turns into a poor looking trio or pair for that matter. 

I have very very little original 14-15 star ribbon. In fact I think I have enough for 1 more mount (which I am saving for my DCM MM and Trio I have). There is some nice modern ribbon (OMG did I just call modern ribbon nice) for the BWM and also the VM. I have some of each as well as some crappier VM stuff that I may just bin.

There is a place in the UK, a medal mounting firm that has some nice looking modern stuff. 

Has anyone tried this stuff?  I would like to replace all in my collection with original ribbon, but that is not so easy anymore, though I picked up enough BWM ribbon for 3 medals recently.  I was offered two lengths of VM ribbon recently for £12 which seemed a lot, the BWM ribbon cost me £10 for 12 inches which I cut into three 4 inch lengths which seemed long enough.  i have yet to find any original 14 or 14/15 Star ribbon for sale.

Edited by Jerry B

I noticed on the bay a pair of original ribbons for £22 and a Trio of ribbons for more than £30.  So many medal now come with modern replacements or no ribbon at all that it is getting harder to source original ribbon without paying too mucvh of it or so it now seems.  I picked up a VM recently for £9 and by current market prices it will cost £6 for the ribbon and even the going rate for most VM's is less than £20 so another 6 quid on top is quite  a high % to pay, though obviously we would all prefer original ribbon or at least something resembling it.  I picked up two trios recently and both came with modern copy ribbon, gutted!

JohnJArcher  -  welcome to GMIC and thankyou for the information on ribbons.  Sounds as if the company you mention could be helpful

to our collectors.   

This will also apply to the company that Peter has recommended.            Mervyn

UGH, I just had a look at the Toye, Kenning and Spencer site. I found the 14-15 star ribbon and I have to say I do not like it a all. IMO, I would rather leave the Star without a ribbon, then use that stuff. Same goes for the VM ribbon. Never bothered to look at the BWM ribbon.