News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

No Order... Just A Rust Stained Hole & A Shadow

Gentlemen,

I proudly own this pullover that once belonged to a Sgt of an Anti-Tank Demolition Artillery unit.

There seems to be a place above the LH pocket where some type of order has vacated the premises.

A Red Banner perhaps?

Your opinions would be greatly appreciated as I aspire to get this one completed and up on a display form.

I tried my best for a good image with the limited resources I have to work with here. There are no marks on the inside other than the presence of that rusty hole again. In any case, kindly let me know if more images are needed.

Thanks in advance...

Richie C

Just remember though that many uniforms ended up in museums of all sizes in the former USSR, and many times awards were added at random - and over the years leaving marks like these.

What is odd though is that I don't think silver rusts. Perhaps it was a badge with a steel screwpost?

Dave

Of what metal composition are the retaining nuts constructed of?

Normally everything, what touches the uniform, is made of non-corrosing metals like silver or brass, and the early screwdisks are from silver.

Can someone tell me, what the later screwdisks are made of? Some are very light and others are much heavier.

I would agree on the Red Banner, btw.

best,

Gerd

EDIT: Dave was fasterobviously...

Edited by Gerd Becker

Thanks for all the input. Perhaps the brown stain is not rust? Possibly it may be dirt that accumulated in the hole over the years? The pullover was fairly soiled when I first aquired it.

I personally will not go crazy over this, but if one were to really get "techie" about it, I suppose it could be tested for iron-oxide. Rust is iron-oxide, correct? There must be a way to test for it...

I'll see if I can dig up my old childhood Gilbert Chemistry Set... I may have to call my Mom to ask her where she put it...

:P

Edited by RichieC