News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Unknown Ribbons (Croatian?)

#4 is the Croatian Commemorative War Medal ribbon.

#3 looks like a Japanese Order of the Rising Sun.

Cool... Running with that info on #4, we can then nail this bar down to post 29-Dec-1943, when apparently the Commemorative War Medal was created. The other question then becomes, what the heck would someone had to have been / done to net decorations from Japan and Croatia? :unsure:

Thanks,

--Chris

I would not say Japan,

better fits a Croatian Order of King Zwonimir on peacetime ribbon.

Best regards

Daniel

That certainly does make more sense than Japanese. I had never seen the peacetime grade until you mentioned it. If I recall, the Zvonimir was created in 1941. If that's the case, when / how would a German been able to get thier hands on a peacetime version before 1945?

Edited by landsknechte

I would assume it was an award error-the Z. was given to some sort of advisor for non-combat advising: telephone establishments etc. etc.

There was a doc. group @ 6 months ago that Detlev sold (along with photos, Wehrpass etc. to a Bavarian Gefreiter (1914-18) who worked his way up to Oberst in a Nachrichten unit in 1945 and who had Croation medals-and I believe the Z was a peacetime version (Fuzzy memory here).

I would assume it was an award error-the Z. was given to some sort of advisor for non-combat advising: telephone establishments etc. etc.

There was a doc. group @ 6 months ago that Detlev sold (along with photos, Wehrpass etc. to a Bavarian Gefreiter (1914-18) who worked his way up to Oberst in a Nachrichten unit in 1945 and who had Croation medals-and I believe the Z was a peacetime version (Fuzzy memory here).

Certainly within the realm of plausability. Since anything Imperial can be ruled out for the long service, we're left with SS, RAD, or Polizei. At least two out of three immediately make sense in that context.

Thanks,

--Chris

I find it highly suspect of a combination and highly suspect that 60 years after the fact we have a lilly-white, pure as the driven snow ribbon bar............. my 2 cents, for what it's worth.

Hmmm

Here's the seller's photo of the reverse:

IPB Image

Once I get it in hand, I'll post some better photos.

Reverse is too blurry for me to tell anything, but irrespective of how it appears, I would still have a hard time swallowing the combination/condition when there's literally yards and yards of leftover ribbon stock floating all over the world now. This stuff appeared in "job lots" about 3 years ago and certain people have been ever so busy with it since. Currently in Germany, I've been offered about 300 blank bars, all old/real pieces.... ranging from 3's to 8's. I have of course refused them all, but they never have trouble finding someone to buy the stuff.... a very sad state of affairs.

It's hard for me to accept that this fellow received to 'foreign" awards and only an EK2. Note there's no service device on the long service ribbon. Unusual at best. Not impossible, but unusual. If the thing looked anything other than brand-spanking new I would still be suspicious, but I like to play it safe.

It wasn't a huge financial outlay, so even if it proves to be bogus, I haven't ruined myself on this one. Granted, I'll be puttering around swearing a blue streak for a spell, but nothing earth shattering. As soon as it's in my grubby little paws, I'll see what I can see.

• 2 years later...

Just recently won this ribbon bar. I seem to remember that #4 is something Croatian, but I can't remember what exactly. #3 eludes me entirely.

Does anyone recognize either of these decorations?

Thanks,

--Chris

3 Is the Order of King Zvonimir Civil Division these were and have been know to be awarded to Germans

4.Is the minature Comemorative war minature issued after 6 months of service in Regular army ,created in year

Although not sure of originality but it is quite possible that it might be real they are possible to find as i just picked up a First Class Zvonimir with Star that was awarded to a German General ,as was common with the Large Silver Pavelic , inc the Iron trefoil 1st class the one awarded to GERMANs had a distinctive Light blue U For Croatians it was a dark blue same applied for all other classes in this award

might post a pic later of approx 20 minature variations if I get time