News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

MEXICO SILVER 8 REALES WITH CHINESE CHOP MARKS

Paul,

During the period when silver was flowing to China, the Mexican peso became the standard coin throughout much of the world. The Chinese merchants would put their chop marks on the coins, so they knew that the coin had passed through there hands before and was the correct weight (hand`t been skimmed of chopped).

Gordon.

• 1 month later...

Nice mid-grade example. Most of these I come by are lower grade, cleaned - no "badly" cleaned and later dates. It used to be that chop marks de-valued a coin...but these days they sell for a premium. Congratulations on this one.

• 8 years later...

Another interesting bit of information, 

The Cerro Rico de Potosí was the richest source of silver in the history of mankind. The extraction of mineral ores in Cerro Rico de Potosí began in 1545 by the Spanish Empire. Between the 16th and 18th century, 80% of the world's silver supply came out of this mine.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cerro_Rico#:~:text=The Cerro Rico de Potosí,came out of this mine.

I suppose with this information, it’s not unreasonable to speculate about whether the silver from this coin, was mined in Bolivia ?? at some point prior to it travel to the Mexico City Mint? 

08133B53-07FA-4161-AB38-9C7B3164BF13.jpeg

Edited by bigjarofwasps