News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Discipline and enforcement, French Foreign Legion

Bernhard H.Holst

Hello readers.

With the encouragement of Chris Boonzair I would like to place some reflections and personal experiences concerning the discipline and the enforcement of it in the ranks of the French Foreign Legion. I believe that there are plenty different accounts in circulation as to the severity of discipline and the punishments of any breaches, some of which point to an inhumane application in many instances. So I shall add my account of this subject.

Having served during the years of 1951 to 1957 principally in the ranks of the 1.REC ( 1er Regiment Etranger de Cavalerie or 1. Foreign Cavalry Regiment ) the following account is somewhat limited in scope not having any official manual or regulation at hand and realizing that internal discipline or rather the enforcement did vary from unit to unit. This would of course result in different methods or approaches.

First off one should be aware of the rank structure in the French Army which is the one equally applied in the French Foreign Legion . The rank of non commissioned officer begins withe rank of sergeant. Ranks below that are considered a stand alone rank i.e. corporal /brigadier or senior corporal ( caporal-chef or brigadier-chef ) who already do have authority.

At the time of enlistment we were not given or read the Articles of War or similar, the simple fact that most had no or very little command of the French language would have made it a waste of time. But starting basic training it took little time to understand who called the shots. Barracks rooms were run by corporals who were responsible for the condition and the personnel roomed there. Inspections mornings and before lights out, with re dos if not found acceptable by the sergeant of the week or duty sergeant. On occasion visits were made by an officer.

Extra duty for those who were found wanting. I do not recall any severe incidents which required disciplinary measures beyond that.

During advanced training ( training as radio operator for me and clerical duties for others/ French speaking personnel ) I became a witness to an unpleasant procedure whereas an offending legionnaire had to stand with his nose touching a wall and at attention for varying time spans. I do not recall seeing that again in other units I was assigned to. Circumstances in this training company were uncomfortable with lots of petty nuisances present which caused great annoyance to the troops but served no practical benefit. With the help of a cadre N.C.O.I was able to get a transfer to a transport forming for the Far East. Transit camp duties were light but for the trip to Vietnam accommodations on a former German freighter surrendered after WW I were crude with poor food and constant friction with North African troops sharing the ship.

Discipline was upheld and after 30 days Saigon was reached. Together with a number of others I was assigned to a newly formed unit in Tonkin ( North Vietnam). A base camp near Haiphong , an abandoned brick factory was installed under canvas which slowly took shape with corrugated iron huts and brick buildings. But my new assignment was to be with a mounted infantry company which consisted mainly of Vietnamese personnel who were to be trained by us in a garrison farther away. This turned out to be a rewarding posting. A brigadier who neglected to relieve sentries in a timely fashion was dealt with quite leniently, or so was the general thought. Upon completion of the basic training our company joined the new amphibious group at its base camp and took shape by beginning small operations on foot in the vicinity. My abbreviated training as a radio man followed me though and I was made an assistant company radio operator to a French speaking man until he became severely ill and had to leave. This event made me the radio man in a sink or swim situation. I do not remember any disciplinary events in our company except the driver of the company Jeep who was put in front of a military court for rape and most likely ended up in the Legion Disciplinary Company. I had occasion to observe how the two other troops in our group handled disciplinary incidents. Our camp had a sort of parade ground made from crushed bricks of which there were plenty. This terrain was also used to exercise delinquents to circle it on the double ( pas de gymnastique ) with a shouldered 50 cal machine gun barrel for a number of times. This was supervised by a N.C.O. who had discretion to speed up the delinquent's pace and to regulate the number of times. Later a twist was introduced which consisted of a rucksack being carried with a load of bricks and a barrel added as above described. This was applied in more severe cases i.e. theft from comrades and such. I believe punishments such as this were given by higher ranking N.C.O.'s and certainly not for trivial matters. As regimental prison the former brick oven was utilized but only overnight. The prisoner performed his normal duties or rather selected ones.

to be continued..

Bernhard H. Holst

formerly a member of the French Foreign Legion

1951-1957

Hello readers.

First continuation :

After a period of shake downs and a considerable thinning of ranks of the legionnaires which originally made up the cadre of our company and were found wanting, the final count of legionnaire cadre did not exceed twenty to twenty five . Of these only seventeen or so were part of the combat deployed company ( five per platoon plus radio operator and one officer batman). The balance consisted of Vietnamese troopers who did not give any disciplinary concerns ever. My recollections do not contain any important breaches of discipline in our company or the two associated troops.

Here is one instance of how the matter of a dissatisfied Brigadier in the 8.Escadron ( troop) was handled. Brigadier Kopanczik was unhappy being in a mechanized unit and not much taken to things running on tracks and such. His repeated requests for a transfer to our company were rejected so that the only way out was to surrender his two stripes which would then trigger an automatic transfer into another unit. That approach worked and Legionnaire First Class Kopanczik joined us and became this writer's best companion and very quickly regained his second stripe, ( later made Brigadier-Chef and was the recipient of the Medaille Militaire and becoming a Chevalier de la Legion d'Honneur).

Four instances of N.C.O.'s coming to grief should be mentioned here:

- The mail clerk (vaguemestre) misappropriated money orders or similar and was restricted to his room waiting for his court date. I once had to take is meal to him from the troop kitchen while on guard duty. No more better food from the N.C.O.Mess. The verdict escapes me but a stint in the Disciplinary Company was certain.

- One Marechal des Logis who had a weakness for young Vietnamese troopers made the mistake to make advances to one while on guard duty and who promptly alerted the Brigadier of the Guard. This N.C.O. was gone next day.

- M.d.L. with the name beginning with M. came through the ranks of our company as a competent squad leader with subsequent promotions. In 1954 when I was reassigned to my old outfit for my second tour of over seas duty he was in charge of the N.C.O. mess. A beautiful girlfriend apparently proved too expensive so that allegations of embezzlement were made. Restricted to his room awaiting further judicial proceedings he was found hanged one morning. He was buried on the military plot without military honors and without notification to us. An eyewitness told me that his girlfriend was standing in the far distance. Who knows how she got word?

- One M.d.L. was assigned to us shortly before the armistice in July 1954. Vietnamese troopers reported to me upon our return to base near Haiphong that he borrowed money from them without reimbursing them. Of this I was unaware and very much resented his preying on poorly paid troopers. I took my information to the Company Sergeant Major who also was my platoon commander and the man was gone next day. In 1956 while on duty at headquarters in Sidi Bel Abbes, Algeria I had occasion to read the regimental news sheet. One day I found among personnel changes that Sergeant P. Service Number ... was reduced to ranks . The reason given was "debts". The service number ( matricule) was quite familiar to me . I encountered him a day or two later and he gave me some story as to why . And I thought his bull... finally caught up with him but why did it take so long?

to be continued

Bernhard H. Holst

Hello readers.

2nd continuation:

- here is the recollection of the strange behavior of a French field grade officer and his swift departure later.

A major and second in command of our Amphibious Group ( a battalion size formation) generally was generally believed to be of no use because of fondness of the bottle. My personal experience was that of my being in charge of the base camp guard during one day time as a brigadier ( corporal ) when word reached me to immediately come to the N.C.O. Mess. Arriving there a found a somewhat merry group including the major ( above ) and an AFAT ( feminine auxiliary in the army). Of course I presented myself to the major by giving rank, name , presently in charge of the guard, time in service and in rank. The major , clearly somewhat affected by drink, pointed to a legionnaire just outside the door, identifying him as his driver and ordered me to take him into custody and to the regimental prison and lock him up. The assembly found it funny. Complying with that order the legionnaire whom I knew slightly, said not to take it too seriously because, when in his cups the major frequently acted strangely. He would come for him when ready to leave. So off into the brick oven the driver went. After some time the major appeared and told me to guide him to the brig. After my unlocking the door the officer said to his driver: "You see one would not keep animals in this place but I keep you here. Come on lets go".

Some little time later while on operation in the rice paddies of the Red River Delta we spent the night around a fortified outpost in which group headquarters was quartered. That night the major supposedly missed the way out when nature called but mistook the colonels camp bed for a suitable place. That incident ended that officer's active service with us in a very sudden manner. Of course this story circulated like a flash among the troops, every one glad to be rid of an officer who did not contribute to the war effort.

In retrospect it seems to me that officers found wanting were transferred with their further fate unknown to us. Some other unit having to put up with them?

In regards to N.C.O.'s and ranks below that who committed crimes or severe breaches of discipline one had a good idea as to what fate befell them but there were other cases as shown in the following incident of a sad nature.

The French Foreign Legion during the Indochina conflict had two Paratroop Battalions deployed there . On occasion some of their troops for varying reasons were transferred to other formations. This happened

with two who were assigned to my company. They turned out not to be outstanding soldiers. One was made a member of my good comrade Brigadier Kopanczik's squad who was not very happy as it turned out. On one operation underground diggings were detected and oral summons issued. With no results after several repeats an "offensive" ( blast only) hand grenade was let down. Our tunnel scouts then removed two young girls who were unconscious and were wearing white blouses, a sure sign that they were not enemy personnel. The former paratrooper shot both with his MAT sub machinegun. Brig. Kopanczik being very upset and following a decided grumbling in the ranks of his Vietnamese, challenged him on this and was given a sorry excuse of an accidental discharge of his weapon. This was nearly impossible to happen with that weapon. Kopanczik asked my advice on the matter and I told him to immediately report the matter to our Sergeant Major and Platoon Leader which he did. The murdering man was gone quickly after our return to base and his further fate is unknown to me.

to be continued....

Bernhard H. Holst

Hello readers.

third continuation:

This writer attained the rank of Sergeant in 1956 and with considerable delay after successfully completing a N.C.O. Candidate Course while still stationed in North Vietnam following the armistice in July 1954. The delay was caused by the dissolution of the several Legion specialty units such as transportation, repair and engineering units which caused a sudden glut in N.C.O.'s all needing new homes so to speak. In addition hospitalization for reason of a severe dysentery with a subsequent sanitary return to North Africa constituted a separation from my regiment and interrupted any chance of advancement in a "normal" manner. Only permanent assignment to Headquarters in Sidi Bel Abbes after campaign and medical recovery leaves with a personal intervention by my new commanding officer, Chef des Escadrons Drapied (Major) secured this advancement in rank. Being a very junior sergeant made the assignment to all the choice duty slots automatic, such as Sergeant of the Week, or in charge of alert- or fire intervention platoons and what have you.

During the presentation of the ready fire fighting platoon to the major in charge of general services for headquarters and having to give my particulars including the department assigned to, this major saw fit to make rather derogatory statements about this fairly new one which applied aptitude tests to new enlistees and veterans being processed for reassignments and such. I reported this incident to my commanding officer who later told me to have taken up the matter with the offending officer. There were no repercussions to me.

I felt the need only once to take a name and number of a legionnaire. This happened while in town in the company of a good comrade, Sergeant Dupont ( yes, Dupont) who walked with the aid of a cane, had jumped on Dien Bien Phu in one of the desperate attempts to reinforce the garrison by non-jump qualified personnel and survived captivity. He was then decorated with the Medaille Militaire. A closely passing Leg. 2ieme classe then deliberately failed to salute us which was regulation ( at that time ). I stopped him and received the stock explanation of not having seen us. I took his name, service number and assignment because of his disrespect to my highly decorated and disabled comrade. My comrade later asked me not to pursue the matter which I heeded. At least some scare must have been created.

In case I may have created the impression of my own personal record having been unblemished let me correct that this instant:

I raked up a total of three punishable offenses, but a bit like someone put it with a British military background, crimes of which three were found out.

- number one offense: missing evening roll call ( was in the mistaken belief of senior brigadiers ( Brigadier-Chef) having the unwritten privilege of staying out till midnight without leave. Duty N.C.O. of the week tagged me and got even for a previous personal encounter when he unsuccessfully bullied members of my platoon. He was not smart enough to check later as he would have noted my absence till the small hours of the morning. The resulting seven days restriction to quarters kept me away from more comfortable nights but could have been worse if the true extent of my absence would have been revealed.

- number two offense: having interfered with the performance of his duties and reduced his status as a N.C.O.of the quartermaster in the presence of troopers and lower ranked legionnaires . Q.M. took inventory of furnishings which were not really on official rolls but were transported by us when abandoned by other formations during the evacuation from North Vietnam due to lack of transport which we happened to have ( known as "debrouiller"). Because my choice of berating the Q.M. for the unjustness of his action "in public" forced him to reporting the incident up the ladder. The resulting nine days of regimental prison by the troop commander was lenient because it avoided the docking of pay which began with ten days. To my recollection company or troop commanders had the authority to sentence up to a maximum of fifteen days. Yours truly spent one night in the bedbug infested small brig and then began a long delayed hospital stay in Saigon to tackle a severe dysentery .

- number three offense: a run-in with the Military Police in Sidi Bel Abbes who one evening while out on the town pounced on my comrade who had the rank of senior corporal ( Caporal-Chef) because of my interference on his behalf. I thought their handling unjustified and too rough. An invitation to the commander of the Military Police Platoon ended with mutual dissatisfaction because of the platoon commander, an Adjudant-Chef, believing shouting to be more impressive in making his points. He kicked the case upstairs when I stated his attempts not to be effective due to loudness. A subsequent date with an officer of the staff of the regimental commander resulted in ten days restriction to quarters . I believe the leniency was caused by this officer being the brother of the then Lt. Xavier de Cacqueray who was my commander in Vietnam. My personnel file must have shown this and possibly my wearing the crest of the Amphibious Group on my shoulder board as was the custom. ( of note; this officer had lost a leg in Dien Bien Phu). He also strongly reminded me that fraternization between N.C.O.'s and lower ranks was not allowed though this was not a part of the offense .

a short continuation to end this thread to follow

Bernhard H. Holst

Hello readers:

fourth and last continuation:

La Discipline fait la Force des Armees

my French is shaky, please forgive

Valeur et Discipline

these slogans are still in my memory besides the more known:

Honneur et Fidelite

Legio Patria Nostra

During my six years of service in the ranks of the French Foreign Legion the number of personnel making up its ranks was certainly the highest ever. Even though large numbers of Vietnamese were enlisted to reinforce the individual formations and the fourth and higher battalions of all infantry regiments consisting of close to the total complementof Vietnamese, discipline had to be instilled and maintained. I believe it to have been successfully implemented . The existence of two disciplinary companies, one in Colomb Bechar, Algeria and one on an island near the Central Vietnamese coast may have had a deterrent effect to some of the "tetes dure" ( hard heads). Chris has given us an idea of the Bat Af (Bataillon d'Afrique") meant to accept offending members of French Colonial Forces for " reeducation". Not much is known of the Compagnie de Discipline, which had their own unit insignia and I believe legionnaires sentenced to a time there, had their duration of sentence added to their initial 5 year enlistment. One sort of in- unit punishment I had heard of was that of "tombeau" where the offender had to dig a grave size, shallow hole in which he was to spend varying time regardless of weather. This was not in use in our outfit until a newly assigned N.C.O. attempted to introduce it. Bystanders demonstrated their displeasure with such harassment of troops with the result of immediate release of the offender except for his filling the hole.

As indicated earlier this account is limited to my own, personal experience ,my overseas duty was mainly spent in units composed of relatively small numbers of legionnaires though they were not especially selected. So it may not be representative of conditions prevailing elsewhere. I never did harbor any resentment over the rather light punishments given to me, doing the crime one must do the time.

I have attached a picture of the later Marechal des Logis M. who took his own life in the Spring of 1954 as described above. He was a good assistant- then squad leader, not very outgoing but respected by his men and his comrades. He came to grief over a woman, a not so unknown situation. I was not close to him but should like to make mention of him nevertheless.

I would like to thank all readers of this account which I now believe should have been much shorter but in particular my thanks go to those who placed kind comments.

Brigadier M. showing riflegrenade loading/aiming to Trooper Ngo in early January 1953. Trooper Ngo was killed in action just a few days later on 7 January, 1953.

Bernhard H. Holst

Edited by Bernhard H.Holst

This is a very "real" situation in the 90s... the sgt giving the orders... a legionnaire does a "banane" (in this case he has a mobile that rings!!!) and the Cpl giving the Leg. a dressing down....

Its been on you tube for ages... I think it is the most comman "discipline" at section level in the legion... pushups and a bit of slapping around by a Cpl...

Hello readers:

thanks to Chris for further information and videos.

To the best of my recollection I remember only one instance of a slapping incident which I personally witnessed and found entirely justified.

After the relocation of our unit to the southern region of Vietnam following the armistice of the Summer of 1954 with the subsequent evacuation of the northern area by us in 1955, our first location was in the port area of Saigon. The National Army of Vietnam was in the process of cleaning house by eliminating the armed sects which had sprung up during the proceeding years and which had gained an intolerable influence. In particular the Binh Xuyen which controlled gambling and prostitution in the greater Saigon area. During the cleansing operations the French Forces remaining were neutral and consigned to their locations which included us. Upon the ending of fighting the restriction of remaining in quarters were lifted with the severe admonition that any lateness in return to quarters or similar would be followed by renewed restrictions. Sure enough while delivering the evening report at the orderly room I witnessed two guards escorting a drunk and disheveled legionnaire. He had been brought to our guard post by Military Police and was already overdue by some considerable time. The Adjudant d'Escadron, (Troop Sergeant Major) a one-eyed senior N.C.O. known to be as fair and just as one can be, just stepped up to him and slapped him a good one left and right. Restriction to quarters was re-instituted for several days.

In my continuation number three I mentioned my good friend , Sergeant Dupont. Here is a picture of him:

From your left: unknown, Sgt. Dupont , Medaille Militaire and Sgt. Oberstar, Medaille Militaire.

Sgt. Dupont parachuted on the besieged Dien Bien Phu in April 1954 without having been a qualified parachutist. He was severely wounded but survived the battle. I met him in Sidi Bel Abbes while he was on duty at the monthly publication of the Legion, the Kepi Blanc. Sgt. Oberstar worked with me at the ORT which applied aptitude tests to new enlistees and personnel awaiting new assignments.

Bernhard H. Holst

• 3 weeks later...

I have been meaning to get to this for some time, so will add a few thoughts, bit by bit.

I joined in 89, there was less info around back in those days so you went through the gates not to sure what to expect.

Everyone had read Simon Murray's book and expected the worst.

I joined in Lille at the citadel. It is/was a French army base with an old house staffed by 2 Caporals and an Sgt. basically they do a rough selection, toss out the complete wasters and regroup the rest to send "south" once a week . I arrived just as a group was sent, so had to spend a week there. So the week spent cleaning what was already clean, smoking and playing cards. A few arguments which when they got to loud would bring a caporal running up the stairs, but not more than a few shoves and kicking over of furniture.

Next stop was Fort de Nogent in paris where a larger group was formed to be taken to aubagne. This was about 30 guys, escorted by 2 Caporals and an Adjudant. we were all ligned up in a corridor, the Adjudant hit a guy in the stomach and he folded onto the ground, we were told "no more stupid grins"... that set the tone for the trip down to Aubagne for selection...

all in all much less than i expected.