News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

I have a medal bar that may belong to this officer in IR 170. He retired as a Captain but was bumped to Major at retirement in May 1914. He was called back and served in the same unit. He was bumped to OberLT after the war. If anyone can get a first name of has the unit history please let me know.

Hi Paul,

I have got one unit history of 170 I.R. but the captain Seitz doesn't appear. This is the unit history I have got. May be Glenn has got the good one.

IHLENFELD (Oberst a. D. von), ENGEL (Major a. D.), Das 9.Badische Infanterie Regiment Nr. 170 im Weltkrieg, Berlin, Stalling, 1926, 156 p.

I will try in the Badener im Weltkrieg from Muller Loebnitz. If I have got something I will answer you.

Regards

Christophe

Sorry Paul, I found nothing. Like I though, no Baden knight cross with X during the war. May be we can find some info in an old unit history before the war. Do you write to Baden Archives ? You know that they have a copy of each officers files. As soon as I found the adress I pm you.

Regards

Christophe

Thanks for the help. It maybe hard to get the Seitz's record without a first name or birthday. I looked in the German Orders Almanac and found his entry but he did not list his first name or other information.

Paul,

I have as yet been unable to determine Oberstleutnant Seitz's first name. However here is a little background information on his prewar career. Originally commissioned in Infanterie-Regiment von Grolmann (1. Posensches) Nr. 18 on the 20th of September 1890 he transfered to the II. See-Bataillon in 1893/94. By 1898 he was serving with the III. See-Bataillon and his award of the Third Class 2nd Grade Order of the Chinese Double Dragon was gazetted in the 24th of August 1898 edition of Milit?r-Wochenblatt. Seitz rejoined the Army on the 1st of November 1898 entering the 9. Badisches Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 170. Promoted to Oberleutnant on the 27th of January 1899 and to supernumary Hauptmann on the 29th of May 1906 he was appointed as a company commander on the 16th of October 1906. Following his retirement in May 1914 the trail runs cold (for now).

Regards

Glenn

• 1 year later...