News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hi everybody,

I have received this morning this nice saxon officer ribbon bar. After looking through my database I have found only two possibilities for this ribbon bar.

Oberst Rudolf Bierey

Oberst Walter Bernhard Fischer

Both received the commander cross of St Henry of Saxe

Christophe

Is the last ribbon the Centennial? If so why would a Saxon officer have it?

The Centenary Medal was awarded to non-Prussians who were under Prussian Army commands, This means primarily those Saxon and Bavarian units stationed in Alsace-Lorraine. For Saxony, these were IR 105, based in Straßburg in Elsaß under XV.Armeekorps, and FußAR 12, based in Metz under XVI.Armeekorps. I am not sure, but I believe it would also include the 7. u. 8. (Kgl. Sächs.) Komp. of Eisenbahn-Rgt. Nr. 2 in Berlin. There were also scattered Saxon officers assigned or commanded to Prussian units, headquarters, schools and staffs such as the Großer Generalstab, the Militär-Turnanstalt, the Artillerie-Prüfung-Kommission, and the Feldartillerie-Schießschule, to name a few.

Hi,

I have a photo of Oberst Bruck who received the Centenary medal in 1897 and who served in the FAR Nr. 28. Bierey and Fischer served in 1901 in the FAR Nr. 48 who belonged with FAR Nr. 12 and 28 to the 23 Art. Brigade from the XII AK.

Christophe

In 1897, Bierey was commanded to the Militär-Reit-Institut in Hannover.

I am not sure about Brück or Fischer. They were then in their respective regiments.

The Centenary Medal is not listed in Saxon rank lists. In Bavarian rank lists, however, there are a number of random officers with the Centenary Medal who are not in regiments in Alsace-Lorraine and not commanded to Prussian formations. I suspect there may have simply been a quota, for example 2-3 awards per regiment or 10 awards per corps or something similar, and the awards were random. Or perhaps some other criterion.

Officers of non-prussian regiments, where Willy II was Regimental-Chief did as well receive the Centenary.

Greetings

Daniel

I know that usually applied with other jubilee medals, but I am not sure about that with regard to the Centenary Medal. For Bavaria, for example, the Kaiser was the Inhaber of 6. Infanterie-Regiment Kaiser Wilhelm, König von Preußen. However, in the Militär-Handbuch des Königreiches Bayern, nach dem Stande vom 1. Dezember 1897, the only officers in 6.bay.IR with the Centenary Medal are Prem.Lt. Friedrich Bogendörfer [later "Ritter von"] and Hptm. à l.s. Karl Burkhardt. And Burkhardt got the medal not because of his regiment, but because he was commanded to the Prussian Gewehr-Prüfungs-Kommission in Spandau.

Regards,

Dave

PS: in case anyone is interested, here is a list of Saxon junior officers commanded to Prussian commands who should have received the Centenary Medal in March 1897. Many of these were generals and colonels in World War I. I did not include IR 105 and FußAR 12 officers, since they all got it.

Sächsische Offiziere in Preußischen Dienststellungen in 1897.pdf