News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

federal republic of germany medal of merit

Hi there, I am new here and have already put one post on here regarding a spanish medal I purchased today from a car boot. I also purchased this today from the same seller and as with the spanish medal the story goes....It was awarded to his sister in law/sister ,(I cant remember but is was a female relation), who worked in a postition of authority possibly at windsor castle and she was awarded this. I believe it to be a Medal of Merit from Federal Republic of Germany. As can be seen in the photo it comes it what appears to be original box with a little ribbon bow and a miniature medal. I know nothing of foreign orders and took a gamble when purchasing these medals today. The questions I have are..1) is it genuine, 2) what age is it, 3) does it have any value.

FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF GERMANY. Order of Merit, Medal of Merit (BUNDESREPUBLIK DEUTSCHLAND. Verdienstorden, Verdienstmedaille)

[DE689]

Quantity Available: 1 £65 pixel_trans.gifDE689a.jpg

Click to enlarge

Circular gilt metal medal with loop for ribbon suspension; the face with a narrow-armed red enamel cross pattée with a circular central gilt medallion bearing a black eagle, wings outstretched, a laurel wreath between the arms; the reverse inscribed ‘FÜR / VERDIENSTE / UM DIE / BUNDESREPUBLIK / DEUTSCHLAND’ (for Merit to the German Federal Republic); slight contact marks to the gilt; on original ribbon. The Order is the highest honour that the Federal Republic of Germany bestows and was instituted by President Theodor Heuss on 7 September 1951, second anniversary of the founding of the Federal Republic, ‘with the desire to create a visible expression of recognition and thanks for meritorious men and women of the German people and from abroad for service in the fields of politics, socio-economics and intellectual work and for service in rebuilding the fatherland, and, as an award intended for all, for contributions to enhancing Germany’s reputation abroad’. (‘In dem Wunsche, verdienten Männern und Frauen des deutschen Volkes und des Auslandes Anerkennung und Dank sichtbar zum Ausdruck zu bringen, stifte ich am 2. Jahrestag der Bundesrepublik Deutschland den ,Verdienstorden der Bundesrepublik Deutschland. Er wird verliehen für Leistungen, die im Bereich der politischen, der wirtschaftlich-sozialen und der geistigen Arbeit dem Wiederaufbau des Vaterlandes dienten, und soll eine Auszeichnung all derer bedeuten, deren Wirken zum friedlichen Aufstieg der Bundesrepublik Deutschland beiträgt’). A good example.

Depends on who is buying-- See also German or French eBay sold listings 'Bundesverdienstmedaille' or 'BVK' where prices range from 25-70 euros + postage for male version. Yours looks to be Steinhauer & Luck manufacture [if true, case may have their name on reverse], so worth more than other makers' work. If you can determine name of awardee and her services and/or documents and you sell it with the Spanish medal, some collectors will pay considerably more for the 'group' than for the individual pieces.

Thats interesting,

I purchased the medals on a whim at the car boot sale, (not what I was looking for ;)...I was actually looking for furniture, mirrors and paintings :unsure: ), and in hind sight I should have got details of the recipient from the seller. I'm happy to keep these as they are nice items and in the general scheme of things didn't cost much. And as you suggest the reverse of the case has Steinhauer & Luck Ludenscheid printed in gold. the case is dark blue.

Again a likely presentation to a member of the Royal Household during the President of Germany's visit. It would be worth trying to find out the name of the recipient, her position in the Royla Household and find out of the seller has any related paperwork.

Paul