News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

WWI uniform of John Nightingale, Aide to Woodrow Wilson at Paris

I have about a third of this man's material, sadly it was all sold off piecemeal some time ago. I did my best chasing it all and did OK. In his trunk are all his letters detailing his time with Wilson, especially during the 1918-19 winter tour Wilson took of Italy, Belgium and the UK, meeting Albert and George V in the process. The peace conference armband is nearly mint, and came with a note as to the day he got it. There is even a Pathe film online of this officer, in this uniform, giving Wilson a Belgian battlefield tour, and his letters bear this out. He saw almost no action in WWI with the 71st Coast Artillery, but was politically and socially connected and got this very desirable assignment from his friend, the grandson of the late President Garfield, also a CA officer.

A trunk from his Massachusetts Militia days, all sorts of invitations and paper souvenirs, lots of earlier family stuff, several studio portraits, and a letter to his Dad from 1898, when he was a child, demanding to be allowed to join the US Navy and help defeat the wicked Spanish. Also his medals, some other insignia, a full tan cotton uniform and more...its a nice lot. It fits into the trunk perfectly, so I guess if I had gotten the rest, I would have had a problem...fate set me up just right.

Edited by grimble-nibitz

You're all very kind, I love it too, he was there when history was made, and unlike 'minty' crap, it has a story to tell beyond being well stored and unused...I am not chasing the other stuff, a good friend has part of it, and the rest went to the woodrow wilson library...so there's nowhere to go. I am happy with that I have though.