News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Labour Badges

DavidS

2 classes of Labour Badges. The Labour Merit Badge is the rarer - apparently only 553 were awarded.

See Richard Catalano's great site for other examples & historical notes.

First, both together

The Labour Merit Badge is the rarer - apparently only 553 were awarded.

Looks like the author of japanese wiki article devoted to this badge got this number by combining these numbers

February 11, 1943 approximately 80 awardings

236 awardings in 1944

237 awardings in 1945

Although looks like he (or she? ;)) is not quite sure about this number :whistle:

Edited by JapanX

Dark brown enamel Labour Merit Badge and the same of orange colour: what is the difference?

Simply enamel shades.

Why boxes differ?

Balsa boxes for lower classes - lacquered ones for higher classes.

Usual story with japanese badges.

Which one is rarer?

Personally I see 2nd class (the badge with simple "labour badge" inscription on reverse) more often then 1st class ("merit badge")

Are there any other badges, nicknamed "The Golden Kite for..."?

Not to my knowledge ;)

Cheers,

Nick

Simply enamel shades.

Balsa boxes for lower classes - lacquered ones for higher classes.

Usual story with japanese badges.

Personally I see 2nd class (the badge with simple "labour badge" inscription on reverse) more often then 1st class ("merit badge")

Not to my knowledge ;)y

Cheers,

Nick

I really appreciate your answers, Nick! http://www.imperialjapanmedalsandbadges.com/laborbadge.html - It is not just shades, I think. Really two versions, different by colour. The boxes for BROWN enamel and ORANGE one also differ. Cheers, Peter

It is not just shades, I think. Really two versions, different by colour. The boxes for BROWN enamel and ORANGE one also differ. Cheers, Peter

Well, there are only two versions of boxes.

Balsa with dark blue interior and with three golden kanji on the lid "labour badge" and stamp "Japan Mint" (on the back side).

Black lacquered with two-color (yellow/dark blue) interior and with five silver kanji on the lid "labour merit badge".

The box on the Rich site is simply a wrong one (a replacement that was made either by the owner of the badge or by its seller on the YahooJapan)

As for the "brown" and "orange" enamel.

I think "brown" looks like more transparent "orange" on these photos because they were made with direct photoflash ;)

Regards,

Nick

Well, there are only two versions of boxes.

Balsa with dark blue interior and with three golden kanji on the lid "labour badge" and stamp "Japan Mint" (on the back side).

Black lacquered with two-color (yellow/dark blue) interior and with five silver kanji on the lid "labour merit badge".

The box on the Rich site is simply a wrong one (a replacement that was made either by the owner of the badge or by its seller on the YahooJapan)

As for the "brown" and "orange" enamel.

I think "brown" looks like more transparent "orange" on these photos because they were made with direct photoflash ;)

Regards,

Nick

OK, thanks a lot, Nick.

"...The central figure is a small girl holding a bag

or something. I believe I read that she is offering a gift to the gods. The circular device around the girl looks

like a gear or some sort of machine part..." (http://www.imperialjapanmedalsandbadges.com/laborbadge.html). So, is there more exact explanation of that kind of Labour Merit Badge (Labour Badge) design? "A smаll girl", "a bag or something", "а gift to the gods" - What does it mean and why?

Sorry for asking too many questions,

Peter

Peter, sorry there are not clear concise answers to all of your questions. No exact description that I know of. If I had one, of course I would have put it on the site. That being said, it seems clear that the person is a goddess of some sort, based on her hairstyle. I do not know what she represents nor do I know what she holds.

The larger badge was awarded by the national government; the smaller one by the local authorities.

Watch some footage of Hideki Tojo himself awarding this badge. This is Feb. 1943 news footage and it takes up the first 3 minutes of this clip. You can see an award document towards the end of the section. The very fact that this award ceremony was shown on the news points to the importance of the badge, which was to be worn on civilian clothes. You can also see the honor cord in the close-up.

ENJOY:

http://cgi2.nhk.or.jp/shogenarchives/jpnews/movie.cgi?das_id=D0001300526_00000&seg_number=001

Edited by fukuoka

Just looked at the 1942 ordinance establishing this badge, and the design description just says '神像' or 'god figure.' Those with a good knowledge of Japanese folklore and tales may be able to identify it better.

Peter, sorry there are not clear concise answers to all of your questions. No exact description that I know of. If I had one, of course I would have put it on the site. That being said, it seems clear that the person is a goddess of some sort, based on her hairstyle. I do not know what she represents nor do I know what she holds.

The larger badge was awarded by the national government; the smaller one by the local authorities.

Watch some footage of Hideki Tojo himself awarding this badge. This is Feb. 1943 news footage and it takes up the first 3 minutes of this clip. You can see an award document towards the end of the section. The very fact that this award ceremony was shown on the news points to the importance of the badge, which was to be worn on civilian clothes. You can also see the honor cord in the close-up.

ENJOY:

http://cgi2.nhk.or.jp/shogenarchives/jpnews/movie.cgi?das_id=D0001300526_00000&seg_number=001

Just looked at the 1942 ordinance establishing this badge, and the design description just says '神像' or 'god figure.' Those with a good knowledge of Japanese folklore and tales may be able to identify it better.

fukuoka, I deeply appreciate your information. And the Feb. 1943 news footage is magnificent. Enjoyed it!

So, the person is "a goddess"...

If only 553 items of Labour Merit Badge were awarded, what is it like in comparison with the number of awardings of other rare japanese orders, medals and badges? How often Labour Badges are on sale? The level of price in general?

Sorry again for asking too many questions. The badges worth it, I beleive.

...Watch some footage of Hideki Tojo himself awarding this badge. This is Feb. 1943 news footage and it takes up the first 3 minutes of this clip. You can see an award document towards the end of the section. The very fact that this award ceremony was shown on the news points to the importance of the badge, which was to be worn on civilian clothes. You can also see the honor cord in the close-up.

ENJOY:

...Speaking of the number of awardings. Around 460 of 3rd Class Golden Kite were awarded during the whole Meiji-period.

Yep.

463 if I remember correctly.

I wonder if this unofficial title "Golden Kite for Industrial Labour" can be equaled with good old "Golden Kite" :whistle:

Yep.

463 if I remember correctly.

I wonder if this unofficial title "Golden Kite for Industrial Labour" can be equaled with good old "Golden Kite" :whistle:

Of course, can not. At the same time, even unofficial title "Golden Kite for Industrial Labour" sounds powerlul as soon as JapanX, such a respected person, can't remember other badges, nicknamed same way.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the seller finished his auction before the appointed time

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Japanese-Silver-merit-Medal-Militariy-weapon-product-WW2-Orden-/370831738359?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item56574b45f7#ht_206wt_1141

No wonder ...

There was only one bid ...

$1 bid

But now this badge is back ... but now it comes together with cased 1st class!