News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

The wearer of the tunic had been a 1 Year volunteer in 1912-13, a resserve NCo at mobilisation, and was comissioned at the end of 1914.

He was killed in early 1915.

I had always assumed, with this high collar and no tresses, that it was a tunic he had had altered as an officer...

But seeing the photo above, and the fact it was back with his parents and his Blue one year volunteer tunics... it seems to be very possible that it could have been his prewar tunic from the time he was a one year volunteer? I suppose high colors were not official, but tolerated?

Guest Rick Research

The MGSS sleeve insignia was only created mid-war, right? That must be his ? baby brother circa 1916--hasn't even made Fahnenjunker-Gefreiter yet.

That is one EXTRRRRRRRRRRRREME hat!

Chris

Looks well educated probably a private purchase tunic not his field coat? He must have rushed through mg school where did he become a casualty? edit was going to say!

Eric

Edited by Hoss

Guest Rick Research

Ah. Probably--have seen that--at least later in the war--even for "dude" privates. Fairly easy to "improve" a collar rather than a whole tunic, tailor-wise.

The MGSS badge was introduced in February 1916 for the Saxon Army. What is slightly unusual is the fact that he is still wearing the "einjähriger" cord as the practice of enlisting one year volunteers ceased in October 1914. War volunteers were not entitled to the one year cord either.

Regards

Glenn

Guest Rick Research

Here's a "stiff necked" Gefreiter, circa late 1918 or 1919 (lightly pencilled message was meticulously scrubbed clean by a previous owner, sigh). Though highly decorated by Oldenburg, his rank buttons on officer height collar are Prussian. Straps appear to have never had anything--as if Landsturm plain solid color. Yet is too young for that, and wearing a regular's state cockade. Side note on this one: look how WORN the finishs are on his OK1 and Wound Bade--after mere months of wear!!

Edited by Rick Research

Karel,

Is your artillery tunic marked inside? FAR.62. had a cypher on their shoulder boards and (in that they are from the X.A.K.) they should have the corps color white piping. There was a Res.FAR.62, so perhaps that's what your tunic is.

Chip

It's also possible that this shoulder strap is a private purchase hybrid. I have seen similar foot artillery straps that have the 1915 crossed shells on a field gray strap with yellow piping. They are always private purchase pieces. This would make the red piping on your tunic make sense. But I still don't think it can be the line regiment without the crown and cypher.

Chip

Adler1,

Here is an example of what I was talking about. M07 foot artillery straps had white piping. M15 foot artillery straps were all yellow. So, this is some tailor's idea at what to do with the straps on a tunic that has buttons down the front, but is made after the new regulations of 1915. In my estimation, these were made specifically for walking-out-dress and that is why they survived the war. I've seen these hybrids in foot artillery, field artillery, pioneers and some cavalry unit's straps.

Chip