News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hello,

here my new medalbar with many asks. The search for the name is very difficult....

The options for the blank places:

1. EK2

2. KO4X or MEZ1

3. REO4 or REO3S

4. DAK, LDW1, KO3-4

5. KDM70

6. KDM66

7. Centenar

8. würrtemberg, Order of crow, Ritterkreuz with or without Lions

9. Mecklenburg Schwerin/Strelitz, Ritterkreuz der Wendischen Krone

10. Schaumburg Lippe, MVM with sabers

What´s your opinion?

Guest Rick Research

SUPERB posthumous medal bar!!!! :jumping::jumping::jumping:

Missing: KO4X, RAO4, XXV, almost certainly WK3mX, and from the height of ribbon folding, Mecklenburg Wend Crown.

It gives me faith in the human race that a bar like this still exists without having been ripped apart--when the family of this officer obviously cherished his memory enough to preserve all the non-returnable parts.

Which type 1866 Crosss is that-- Königgrätz, Main Armee? That will help confirm the identity here... which I'm SURE is possible. Back later--maybe one of the other Research Gnomes is quicker than me.

What do you mean with posthumous bar?

I don´t believe on WK3 is with Swords, because the suturing is to low, WK3 fits better.

The 1866 cross is the version Königgrätz.

I think:

The carrier left the military and began a civilian career. I don´t find hin in the Ranglisten.

regards

Thomas

Guest Rick Research

His family has returned all awards that were required to be sent back after the recipient died. I do not think it has been ripped apart by stupid collectors--it is too PERFECTLY preserved, and the regulations have been faithfully obeyed here.

Having spent the hours between my above post and this searching-- regretfully I agree it was not a WK3 with Xs (I was hoping--that would have been quick, and easy!). This officer never made General rank, was not a doctor or Beamter, and had retired before 1886. Because of THAT, it might even be an RAO4X missing, not a KO4X. Alive long enough to have all his medals mounted in 1897/98, but then...?

I searched EK2 1870, any second "EK ribbon" and the SLVMX as all HAD to have been by 1871, while he Orders might come after any specific year being checked in Ranglisten. I started with Glenn's monster index to awards in the 1895 Rangliste--not there. Figuring a major, at least, and since alive in 18897, I've been through 1886 and 1887. he was retired (not dR, dL, or zD--checked ALL) before 1886. My 1879 (no issues 1880-1885 or pre-1879) is too brittle to flip through casually, but did not find anyone there still in the half of 13th Infantry Division who got those 1870/71 battles bars.

He was at least a Major (the WK3), possibly an Oberstlieutenant (Wilhelm I was much stingier with Crown Orders than Wilhelm II), and possibly even an Oberst aD.

The problem with the Wend Crown is that BOTH Mecklenburgs gave them out. Seeheld has the -Schwerin rolls, but is anyone even aware if there ARE -Strelitz rolls. except for the WW1 war crosses I have transcribed?

Edited by Rick Research

Considering the schaumburg award has sabers, shouldn't the 'foreign' (to a Prussian) awards in front of it also have swords? Or is there the possibility that they did not have swords but were placed before because they were orders or were from much more important states than tiny Schaumburg-Lippe?

The problem with the Wend Crown is that BOTH Mecklenburgs gave them out. Seeheld has the -Schwerin rolls, but is anyone even aware if there ARE -Strelitz rolls. except for the WW1 war crosses I have transcribed?

I don't know about rolls, but if they were gazetted, I have the Strelitz gazettes from 1838 to 1916.

Guest Rick Research

I think probably Pretty (Enamel) Orders... before war medal simply for the sake of Order-Ahead-Of-Medals. I had thought Xs on the WK (never Xs on the Knight grade MKs) for precisely the same reason as you. But there were so few Prussian 1870/71 recipients that none of them match up.

OK Dave: now match THOSE up with a WK3a/WK3b, RAO4, EK2 1870, KO4X/RAO4X... :speechless1::cheeky:

COMBINING all such awards in pre-1914 time is something we have never gotten to--nor ever will, given the sheer VOLUME of Things To Do and the limited number of Research Gnomes. We have all been concentrayting on 1914-1918 and THAT will take up the lives of a dozen of us.

It could take the handful of us hours... or years... or maybe never. That's why we don't have Billable Hours. :whistle::cat:

COMBINING all such awards in pre-1914 time is something we have never gotten to--nor ever will, given the sheer VOLUME of Things To Do and the limited number of Research Gnomes

Well, I have been doing some considerable labour on pre-war awards. If we take 1895 for example, there are just 36 individuals in the Prussian Army with a combination of the EK2 and a Schaumburg- Lippe Merit Medal. That figure drops to just 9 by 1905. And none of these guys is our award holder. So as Thomas says, this guy was probably already long retired from military service. He may turn up yet.

Glenn

• 1 month later...