News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

An Unexpected WW2 U.S. Navy Distinguished Service Medal

Guest Rick Research

Guest Rick Research

If anyone could add award numbers and so on, please see thread in the SOVIET awards section titled "Burned Below The Waterline..."

Navy awards are very difficult to track. The Navy has never published statistics, so you must rely on very sketchy secondary sources, like "All Hands" or "Combat Reports". I'm not sure that a card-by-card search of the Navy's award cards would give you a definitive answer.

That and the archive burning down almost completely in around the 70s :D so you can kinda understand why with only like 20-30ish left of those files they cant really record anything :S for the army and airforce, I'm not sure about the navy archive, but I believe those records were housed elsewhere, is it possible to run a archive search for this soviet sailor within the archive?

The Navy has never published statistics, so you must rely on very sketchy secondary sources, like "All Hands" or "Combat Reports". I'm not sure that a card-by-card search of the Navy's award cards would give you a definitive answer.

Hi Jeff, any thoughts where from these numbers came?

By the way according to Ed Maier only 22 Navy DSM's were awarded to Soviets.

According to OMSA article only 20 (Army?) DSM's were awarded to Soviets.

Dave Danner wrote in this thread http://gmic.co.uk/index.php/topic/8433-us-army-decorations-awarded-to-red-army-personnel-in-world-war-ii/ (post #15) that "During World War Two, the Army awarded approximately 9 DSMs to lieutenant colonels, 2 to majors and 2 to enlisted".

So how many DSMs (Army and Navy) were issued?

Seriously?!

The Army and Airforce archive burned almost completely in 1973, I'm not sure on the Navy archive for the US, that's why anything getting a hit for WW2 stuff is amazing for US orders and medals

Guest Rick Research

Reports of the extent of the St. Louis fire loss are very much exaggerated--mostly by the sort of government employee we all know and... the less said the better. Damage was to the center letters of the alphabet around "L" and over decades since people asking for records often get a form letter saying what they request was destroyed... only to have it arrive later... intact. Depends on who you get THERE. For American service personnel, most if not all of the 57 states keep complete records on their own residents, so our national loss is not as total as what befell Ireland in 1921.

I have the same fear about Podolsk, which I understand has been moved... to where I know not in my offline absence. It is the terror of any dedicated paper miner like me that a One-And-Only centralized archive WILL lose everything all at once, like the Great Library at Alexandria in the 7th century.

Duplicate! Duplicate! Duplicate! Disperse! Share!

Reports about "Podolsk moving" are very much exaggerated :lol:

http://rusbeseda.ru/index.php?topic=10532.0

Please feel free to write them

Центральный архив Министерства обороны Российской Федерации

Адрес: 142100, г. Подольск Московской области, ул. Кирова, 74.

Тел.: (4967)69-96-20, 69-95-59, 69-91-71

or simply visit them :whistle:

Проезд:

электричка: с Курского вокзала или от метро «Царицыно» до ст. Подольск, далее троллейбусами 1, 2 или автобусами 10, 14, 15 до остановки «Архив»

рейсовый автобус: от метро «Южная» автобусами 406, 417 до остановки «Архив»

Время работы:

понедельник—четверг: 8.30—17.30

пятница: 8.30—16.15

Guest Rick Research

While my brain can read Russian (slowly--college 30 years ago and genetically still holding a family grudge from when You People burned my home village in the Great Northern War :shame::o:whistle: ) my computer cannot.

Центральный архив Министерства обороны Российской Федерации
    Адрес: 142100, г. Подольск Московской области, ул. Кирова, 74.
    Тел.: (4967)69-96-20, 69-95-59, 69-91-71

central archive of Department of Defense of Russia

Adress: 142100. Podolsk area of Moscow, street Kirova 74

telefon: (4967) 69-96-20, 69-95-59, 69-91-71

Проезд:
    электричка: с Курского вокзала или от метро «Царицыно» до ст. Подольск, далее троллейбусами 1, 2 или автобусами 10, 14, 15 до остановки «Архив»
    рейсовый автобус: от метро «Южная» автобусами 406, 417 до остановки «Архив»
    Время работы:

понедельник—четверг: 8.30—17.30
    пятница: 8.30—16.15

Arrival:

From railstation Kursk or metro-station "tsarina" to station Podolsk. Then with trolley-bus 1, 2 or autobus 10,14,15 to station "Archive"

opening hours:

monday to thursday 8:30 to 17:30

friday 8:30 to 16:15

Hope I could it transelate it tolerably. From russian to german would be a lot easier ;)

Best wishes

Karsten

... still holding a family grudge from when You People burned my home village in the Great Northern War ...

I see ...

Another innocent victim of Great Northern War 1ad69fc904c4842cbb2e7af90f26e826.gif

... my computer cannot.

Try this ;)

Windows XP

1. Go to Start menu and open Control Panel

2. Open Regional and Language

3. On the top of the box click on Languages

4. Click on Details button

5. Click on Add button

6. In the end of Input Language English click on blue button with little arrow inside.

7. Find Russian and click on it.

8. In the end of the next line Keyboard layout/IME click on the blue button with little arrow

9. Find Russian from drop menu and click on it

10. Click OK button

for Windows 98

Go to START menu and click on Control Panel

1. Find Keyboard icon and click on it.

2. Find Languages click on it.

3. Youll see English, click on ADD button.

4. Click on arrow in the end of the English Line and choose Russian from the drop menu

If you still cannot see Russian letters (Cyrillic) Look on the top of your Internet Explorer

1. Click on View

2. Click on Encoding

3. Click on More

4. Try first Cyrillic Windows

5. Then try all of them till youll be able to see Russian writing.

5422424521aae124b5a800c465b7f07a.gif

Edited by JapanX