News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Medal Bar From The Unseen World: Omit "Em When You Got 'Em!

Guest Rick Research

Here is a spectacularly beautiful Brunswicker's medal bar from yesterday's Traveling Museum gathering here at the Schloss.

BrK on combatant ribbon, BrH4, REK3X, BMO5.

:Cat-Scratch: Say WHAT?

Uhhhh, something's missing... rather obviously. Something else is missing less obviously so.

I know whose this bar was... even though it's on dark blue backing!

Edited by Rick Research

Oh my God. What a beauty. I don't remember a connection between the Reuß and Brunswick.

Probably this officer died before receiving the EK2. Like the Brunswick medals are in first position he was probably born in this Country. Just my 2 cents

Christophe

Guest Rick Research

Maybe when Dave's back he can tweek the chronology a bit further. This guy was in a job that required dancing attendance on his Royal Master... and presumably that BrK on "combatant" ribbon was earned... right in his home town.

But he DID get at least an EK2 out of the war... eventually--

Edited by Rick Research

Guest Rick Research

I got distracted and forgot to finish this one off! :blush:

Having searched through every holder of a BrH4 and peacetime BMO5 (don't be fooled--ALL Bulgarian Military Merit Orders always had swords like that--it's on the peacetime statute ribbon)... despite not having the Reuss Honor Cross Rolls (though maybe Dave is there NOW?...) everyone can be eliminated except for

Clemens von Olfers of Brunswick Infantry Regiment 92--before and when the war broke out detached as Adjutant of landwehrbezirk II Braunsschweig.

Leutnant 19.08.03 N2n

Oberleutnant 18.08.12 W2w

Hauptmann 29.11.14 Y10y

charakterisiert major aD, alive 1926.

He ALSO had a Netherlands House Order of Orange-Knight 2nd Class (NH5b)... the absence of which we can explain as being dropped "for the duration" as a neutral nation that maybe might have ended up as a combatant... so best just leave it off in case.

Von Olfers was from a literary salon Berlin family which had counted royalty as parlor guests. His father, Dr.med. Sanitätsrat Ernst von Olfers was a highly decorated military physician from the wars of 1866 and 1870/71. His mother was Marie Baroness von Behr. (Dr. dad married 2 von Behr sisters in a row and had children by both.)