News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Post your 1870/71 Militarpass documents

Dear All,

I wonder how many different types of 1870/71 there were.

For now I have like four or five (you can see them here: http://www.imperialgermanmilitaria.com/index.php/photos/date/1870-1871/79-1870-71-militaerpass-documents )

Below are just examples - there are different covers / backside, as well as different printing houses.

Please show what you have there!

Kind regards,

Marcin :Cat-Scratch:

Hi Naxos,

nice document indeed, and you are lucky to have a picture!

As to the awards - only Kriegsverdienstmedaille 1870/ 71, I can't find other entries regarding awards. This is somehow interesting as the one below took part in battles near Paris, Sedan etc.

I will research my documents further as soon as time allows.

Kind regards,

Marcin

Hi Andreas,

Thanks for that, I will use that term from now. Is it the same award as Erinnerungsmedaille 1870/71? I have such note in one of the passes.

By the way - are there many collectors of 1870/71 items in Germany?

Regards,

Marcin

Hello Marcin,

IMO most german collectors are collecting 3rd Reich then WW 1 and

at last 70 / 71. Even more german collectors are on the hunt for medals

only a few of us are collecting paperwork too. The common term for the

Kriegsdenkmünze is KD 70/71, KDM 70/71 but I´ve also seen Erinnerungsmedaille

1870 /71 before. If You need further information feel free to send me a PM.

Regards

Andreas

• 8 years later...

Bringing this old thread back to the top again with this recent item. The Militärpaß to Musketier Paul Dötsch who served in 1.Compagnie of 7.Rheinisches Infanterie-Rgt Nr.69. He was wounded at the Battle of Gravelotte on 18th August 1870. Within the pass can be seen the signature of the regimental commander Oberst Hermann von Beyer.

DÖTSCH (1).jpg

DÖTSCH (4).jpg

DÖTSCH (5).jpg

RG Dötsch.jpg

Edited by hucks216

Another Militärpaß, this time to Soldat Paul Lorenz who served in 6.Compagnie of 15.Inf.Rgt, König Johann von Sachsen. In the unit history 'Geschichte des königlich bayerischen 15. Infanterie-Regiments König Johann von Sachsen im Feldzuge 1870/71 gegen Frankreich' he is listed as being wounded at the pivotal Battle of Sedan. 

He would marry Elisabeta Wagner and would have four children together although sadly only one, Katherina - the second child of that name, would survive past her 1st Birthday.

Lorenz (1).jpg

Lorenz (3).jpg

Lorenz (6).jpg

Battle of Sedan Wounded.png

004814503_00442.jpg

004814503_00443.jpg

And one more, this time to Musketier Karl Grewert who served in 5.Compagnie of 4.Rhein-Infanterie-Rgt Nr.30. This Militärpaß has a nicely filled in campaign section showing, amongst others, the Siege of Strabourg and the Battle of Belfort which was a 103 day siege and assault.

Grewert (1).jpg

Grewert (2).jpg

Grewert (5).jpg

Edited by hucks216

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you, Hucks. Very interesting docs, thanks for sharing.

I have sad observation - I am afraid that very few people collect Militarpasses currently, in particular these from 1870.  I spent some time following ebay etc. and prices are dramatically low.

But still, very nice group of interesting documents.