News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Here is an officer ribbon bar I have. As there are oak leaves on the Zahringer Lion I am sure that the officer was at least a Hauptmann. The detail on the oak leaves is superb. The ribbon bar is in very good condition in general.

Best wishes

Matt

Guest Rick Research

I'm not entirely happy with the too large dark backing--seen that on a number of Frankensteins. The little fuzzies around the thread from fresh sewing, visible even on front, concern me. Flashed this with a blacklight?

The Red Cross/Volkspflege ribbon also makes me twitch because those awards were actually quite uncommon--which is why Naughty Persons have so much never used old stock to play with.

I don't find anyone with the combination of those three Orders and...NOTHING else. The closest match had a Baden 1902 Jubilee MEdal. NOT finding this particular combination is not conclusive--yet--since some HOH3Xs were never gazetted and we will not have ALL the BZs filled in until dave shares out the legible WW1 rolls.

Maybe I'm too twitchy, but since I was offline 3+ years, now that I'm back I'm seeing better and better fakes--including full medal bars.

My gut reaction, despite the excellent devices, from that backing and with that last ribbon is... nuh uh.

It was part of a group, sold by Baldes, and I saw at least of the group offered at emedals...

Might that help?

:jumping:

PS: Just noticed the huge picture was scaled-down while uploaded. Here it's in full size:

'>

Edited by saschaw

Thank you both for your replies. This is helpful.

@Rick- yip, I have black lighted back and front and nothing glows. In hand the backing cloth seems secure, but if you are correct, perhaps the backing cloth was replaced or reapplied for a genuine reason? We probably will never know.

@Sascha- many thanks for these photos. I have not seen these before. Judging by the stick pin and Social Welfare Medal, some type of medic or doctor?

I found this medal bar photo in an old thread on here (no photo of the back). Looking closely at the medal bar you will see that the last ribbon on it is in fact for a Red Cross decoration (most likely Weimar?) and not the Lubeck Hanseatic Cross. Nothing to do with the ribbon bar I own but thought I would post it out of interest as the combination is similar.

Best wishes

Matt

Guest Rick Research

Flat bottoms on bars were not unknown--but always reason for concern since so much easier to fake than the furled bow bottoms. The more I see the more I fear assembly line construction. It's too much of a coincidence.

Can't SEE anything in the micro strip, I'm afraid, but if there is indeed a Volkspflege MEDAL on THAT bar, the conclusion Frankenstein has been busy is confirmed. Those were awarded by the status/paygrade of the recipient. A WW1 Captain would not get an "NCO" level Third Reich award.

This is really depressing.

Can't SEE anything in the micro strip, I'm afraid

Did you follow the directupload link I added? The "micro" strip is a bit bigger, there - and add free!

;)

But I agree, the Volkspflege medal doesn't fit the group and is probably replaced, so not a very good clue for the bar...

Guest Rick Research

"Did you follow the directupload link I added?"

No. I have technical "issues" with links. I am HERE and that's it. Doesnt do any good to post links to someplace else, not for me. C'est ma vie, ça.

But I agree, the Volkspflege medal doesn't fit the group and is probably replaced, so not a very good clue for the bar...

This may explain why it is separate from the medal bar? I.e. the officer grade decoration was removed and then replaced with the medal.

This may explain why it is separate from the medal bar? I.e. the officer grade decoration was removed and then replaced with the medal.

Yes, apparently. So all we know is he had some "Red Cross" or "Volkspflege" award on his medal bar - and that he got it later then the Hindenburg cross, from the set of ribbon bars. Also the Bavarian BMV4X has real gold discs, so is likely a 1914 to 1916 award... that's not much to know...

No. I have technical "issues" with links. I am HERE and that's it. Doesnt do any good to post links to someplace else, not for me. C'est ma vie, ça.

Argh... didn't realize that...

I made some copies of Sascha's image and cropped them. Let's hope these don't get shrunk too much.

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_08_2013/post-432-0-90155800-1377188719.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_08_2013/post-432-0-44084500-1377188730.jpg

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_08_2013/post-432-0-14752400-1377188740.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_08_2013/post-432-0-79446000-1377188759.jpg