News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

FR. Wilhelm Ehrenburger Award

Hello All,

Great forum! I couldn't resist posting this here.

Any and all comments/info would be greatly appreciated on this. I've never been able to find

another for comparison. Does anyone have one? Would love to see it.

Can't find any documentation on this.

John

[attachmentid=28188]

Edited by John Bart

Guest Rick Research

Is it named and dated on the rim? I'd have expected a presentation of this type to have the recipient's name on it.

I've never seen anything but very fancy calligraphy documents in leather folders-- that sort of thing being cheaper, probably, especially from small towns.

Is it named and dated on the rim? I'd have expected a presentation of this type to have the recipient's name on it.

I've never seen anything but very fancy calligraphy documents in leather folders-- that sort of thing being cheaper, probably, especially from small towns.

Hello Rick,

No names or date markings on the rim. No markings either on the links.

Appreciate your comments.

I know what you mean about the fancy calligraphy documents. I've seen those but never an award to go with them.

Hello all,

John it looks from the second picture that there is some wording opposite the sceptre the figure is holding,is that a makers mark or what? Also have never seen a piece like this, very detailed and nicely done. Beautiful item!

Duzig(Bill)

Indeed, a fantastic item. I remember seeing it before when you posted it elsewhere & I was taken by it then.........

Thanks for showing it here.

Cheers

Don

Thanks Duzig & Don,

Duzig, that lettering I am sure is the artist's/sculptor signature. It's very hard to make out.

Now that you mention it, I should take another closer look at it.

I am speechless!This is a one of a kind item for sure.The surrounding lettering on the non swaz bearing side indicates some connection to an university.I have seen such items for the dean of university of g?ttingen or g?ppingen the one that was spared from bombardement in exchange for cambridge and oxford.One can become somewhat honory member of the university and maybe this was used for such an event.Contradictory to this is the fact of the wording Ehrenb?rger which is honory citizen and I don?t know right now if universities can grant citizenship.

I do believe it is from the university of Bonn.Could you please write down the lettering of the non-swaz side.

Hi Rosenberg,

I greatly appreciate your comments! The lettering as you requested:

(starting in the 6 o'clock position read clockwise)

FRIDER.GVILELM.RHENANAE UNIVERSITAS.LITTER.

I've been banging my head against the wall trying to find documention on this or at least

a picture of one in wear. Thanks for your help.

John

Edited by John Bart

I just found a speech from a ceremony there....

" Mit Ihnen hei?e ich unsere Ehrenb?rger und die Tr?ger der Universit?tsmedaille willkommen."

This was said by the dean of the university:I also welcome our honory citizens and wearers of the university medal.

I don?t know if this university medal is what you present here or something else.....

Edited by Rosenberg

I just found a speech from a ceremony there....

" Mit Ihnen hei?e ich unsere Ehrenb?rger und die Tr?ger der Universit?tsmedaille willkommen."

This was said by the dean of the university:I also welcome our honory citizens and wearers of the university medal.

I don?t know if this university medal is what you present here or something else.....

Fascinating! Thanks for that information. I appreciate your research skills :beer:

Edited by John Bart

Hello all,

John it looks from the second picture that there is some wording opposite the sceptre the figure is holding,is that a makers mark or what? Also have never seen a piece like this, very detailed and nicely done. Beautiful item!

Duzig(Bill)

Hi Bill,

Here's a few close-ups of the wording you mention. I can't for the life of me make them out.

I got in a close as I could before my camera "fuzzed" out. Maybe this is the artist's signature

or jeweler's mm? Perhaps if someone has some good imaging software it could be blown up and seen more legibly?

John

[attachmentid=28483]

German universities could (and still do) grant honorary citizenships (Ehrenb?rgerw?rden) to people from outside the university. There cannot have been many honorary citizens of the University of Bonn during 1933-45. I would guess maybe 10-15 at maximum.

German universities could (and still do) grant honorary citizenships (Ehrenb?rgerw?rden) to people from outside the university. There cannot have been many honorary citizens of the University of Bonn during 1933-45. I would guess maybe 10-15 at maximum.

Thanks webr55, I didn't know that. I wonder if a list of the recipients would be easily obtained?

I greatly appreciate your contribution to this thread :beer:

Edited by John Bart