News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

EK 1 SCREWBACK ON EBAY

Direct from a local vet's estate as brought back in 1945 and untouched since. Very fine condition vaulted Iron Cross 1st class with 100% of the original black paint finish. Has unusual screw back with smaller iron cross cut out washer and circular screw cap with bar handle. Cross is marked with double headed eagle stamp on the back and "800". It is magnetic. The smaller cross is also marked "800" and the screw cap is stamped "100" and also in raised letters"DRGM Gesish?. Silver parts are tarnished. Untouched completely original, never before touched or seen by a collector. a gem!!! Guaranteed 100% authentic (and pre 1945) .

http://cgi.ebay.com/Iron-Cross-1st-Class-w...1QQcmdZViewItem

Opinions please gentlemen :beer:

Actually have this one on my watch list.... everything looks OK, based on the photos, but the Meybauer mark is also the heavily faked one... so I'd invite a rousing discussion of the merits of the cross before anybody plops down there hard-earned cash.

Like I said, looks good on the fotos.... but let's point out everything the Lads & Lasses need to be looking at so maybe those with less experience can gain some more! I'll start with the mark.

There's two (2) versions of the Meybauer Mark out there. Both similar. What I consider to be the early one is identical to the one on the cross, just slightly smaller and more detail within the shield. Then there's this slightly larger, less detailed version. Both are acceptable and correct, but this second version is often found stamped into fake EK1's and fake retired pilot badges...

I've been watching this one also, and keep tabs on who bids on certain items, bid amounts, etc...

The photo suggests wear or scrape marks around the 800 silver content numbers, and then around the Meybauer stamp there is also wear, but it doesn't appear to have taken place after the maker mark was stamped. I could be wrong, but from looking at the photo, it appears that there are no side to side scrapes or cut marks from the ends of the backing plate that cut into the edges of the maker mark. If there aren't any...I'd be suspicious of how real the Meybauer mark is on this piece.

Look closely at the marks made by the ends of the plate in both photos, and there should be marks across the "neck" of the eagle in the second photo. The lack of wear/scrapes is a little suspicious to me....

Les

i have NO problem with the wear on the 800.

i reserve judgement on the MM, but would not be at all surprised if this were

a good piece by paul meybauer. meybauer makes wonderfully delicate, unique

pieces. i have little doubt that this is original. as to the maker mark,

final judgement is in the holding in the hand....

therefore if you will kindly ship it to:

joe campbell

123 main street

anytown, USA :P

that's a very nice EK!

joe

I think to make a real comment on wear across the makers mark, We need a much better

picture.

I am posting a scan of mine. you can just see where the disc is rubbing the right edge

of the stamp and only faint scratch marks in the center of the stamp.

[attachmentid=28374]

I don't focus too much on the hallmark-my first look goes always to the core.Meybauer has got an easy to identify core.The 2nd look goes to the frame.There are a lot of "pseudo" Meybauers out ,but if you know how a real MB should look like they are safe to buy.I've seen just a few"upgraded"original Meybauers where some idiots tryed to put a self made hallmark on.........Just my two cents.

Micha

Fact is, as Micha has already said, the core of the ebay piece is 100% typical authentic Meybauer... and the 'DRGM' device too - so makes little sense that it would be 'embellished' with a fake Meybauer mark and all the risks that entails, to add.... what ... $40 to the price?

The maker mark in my opinion looks a little odd simply due to a combination of poor photography and a less than enthusiastic strike.

I agree with those who think it's a totally fine piece.

Marshall