News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

postcards

Alex K

Hi all, I've had these two original postcards in my collection for many years, they are original but were glued down to a heavy layer of card with old newspaper advertisements on the reverse. I, in my ignorance decided to remove them many years ago, with the subsequent results. fortunately most of the original images remain intact.

I can restore them quite easily to undamaged images that's not the problem.

My questions are who are they and what uniforms and colours they wear together with the decorations and medals they are wearing, I assume that they are members of the (Romanian) Royal family, any help appreciated

best regards

Alex K

• 2 months later...

Thanks for the clarification, what date would you reckon it, Balkan Wars or earlier?

Paul

The absence of the Order of Carol I would place it before 1906. Besides, Ferdinand appears to be in his late 30s or early 40s, which indicates the same date given his birth in 1865.

Thank you so much for the explanation. I always learn something on this forum.

Paul

You are welcome. I'm glad I could provide some new information.

My questions are who are they and what uniforms and colours they wear together with the decorations and medals they are wearing, I assume that they are members of the (Romanian) Royal family, any help appreciated

Only now have I noticed that one other question remained unanswered. I think Ferdinand is wearing a dark blue uniform with gold braid, like in the British poster below (from Ferdinand's English Wikipedia page). The top star is that of the Order of the Star of Romania with swords (see below a similar one). The bottom star is that of the Princely Hohenzollern House Order. The first two orders on the medal bar are the Order of the Crown of Romania and the Hohenzollern House Order. I cannot make out the remainder, but they do not appear to be Romanian.

395px-WWI_Poster_Rumania.jpg3cjo.jpg

Maria appears to be wearing the star of the Order of the Crown of Romania with brilliants (top), but I cannot make out the bottom star. The sash appears to be that of the Order of the Crown of Romania: light blue with steel stripes on the side (top one in the image below).

De_twee_linten_van_de_Orde_van_de_Kroon_