News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Italian Order of the Crown

Hello everyone... been searching the forum on this type of medal. I recentely picked it up because it seemed like a good deal for such a pretty medal.

I have tried to research online but haven't found anything definitive. It appears this was made from 1868-1984. Is there anyway to get a feel for when this could have been manufactured?

Thank you!

Scott

DSC05952.jpg

DSC05956.jpg

DSC05951.jpg

DSC05950.jpg

There should be a hallmark around the ring connecting the ribbon.

It is gold (at least all the orders of the Crown I know of are gold :D) You can sometimes tell by the crown in the center of the enamel the producer, so I would start searching online for info. from that and expand. Sorry I can't help any more, I'm more into Serbian and other orders and medals :)

Best Regards,

Igor

Well, it's not that easy.

The oldest pieces were actually made in solid gold, but at the beginning of XX century the gilted silver became more common.

The mark is not present all the times.

The most recent items have the knots much thinner than in the past.

The blue and the shape of the crown actually could identify the producer, even if I have no info about any list showing such a relationship.

Pls take a look to the colors and the details of the knots in the following examples.

This item comes from the well known Scarpa's collection. It is XIX century, solid gold, no mark.

24.jpg

This one, officer degree, is also solid gold with the mark over it. Probably beginning of XX century

247.jpg

Last: a mid XX century item, no marks. This one it is made of silver gilt:

237.jpg

For comparison, here's one (on an Officer ribbon) I won on the 'Bay, recently. Apologies for the quality of the scan - I don't own an Epson :(

I note that the connector to the suspension ring (technical term?) is rather inferior to the ones shown so far (being flat rather than rounded). There are no marks as far as I can see. I welcome all comments but if it is a fake, please break it to me gently (actually, it wasn't so expensive) :)

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_11_2013/post-13362-0-87293400-1383564214.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_11_2013/post-13362-0-46492400-1383564717.jpg

Edited by Trooper_D

Hi Trooper. I think it's not a fake, the Order of the Crown was so common that usually they are real items.

"Suspension ring" should be the ring for the ribbon. The flat "object" of your order is called "attacco" in Italian, I don't know the English word for it.

My idea for your item is a mid XX century, probably silver, but I can be wrong; better pictures could help a more precise analysis.

Hi Trooper. I think it's not a fake, the Order of the Crown was so common that usually they are real items.

"Suspension ring" should be the ring for the ribbon. The flat "object" of your order is called "attacco" in Italian, I don't know the English word for it.

My idea for your item is a mid XX century, probably silver, but I can be wrong; better pictures could help a more precise analysis.

Thank you, Claudio, for your [semi-]confirmation. I was reasonably confident of its veracity as the detailing on the crown, particularly the jewels, is rather well done (in my not-so expert opinion) so your comments fit in with this view, I am pleased to say. It clearly isn't gold as a 10x lens reveals tarnishing on the arms of the cross but it has some weight to it so silver 'feels' right (were they ever made using brass?). Unfortunately the scans are at the edge of my macro-photographic skills so I am unable to provide more visual information for analysis. Thank you again for your time.

Edited by Trooper_D

• 10 months later...

Hello everybody. I'm doing a popup to this topic to show two more classes: the commander collar and the breast star for great officer.

The commander collar is from Umberto I years (1878-1900), solid gold, in its case.

280.jpg

280c.jpg

The star has no marks over it. Since it has lower quality than other stars, it could have been made in the 1940s

808.jpg

Edited by claudio2574