Jump to content

Full Cavaliers of the Order of Glory - Present Day Market Realities


Recommended Posts

On ‎5‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 13:17, slava1stclass said:

Gents,

  Currently available on the well-known auction site with an opening bid of 99 U.S. cents.  Auction runs for 10 days.  This OGII was awarded to Full Cavalier Guards Sergeant Major Nikolay K. Moroz.

Regards,

slava1stclass

1645 Moroz.jpg

1645 Moroz a.jpg

Gents,

  It sold for $510.00.

Regards,

slava1stclass

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 778
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Gents,   This Full Cavalier set is currently available with a West European dealer.  The asking price is $11,060.00.  The group includes many of the Full Cavalier's additional orders and medals s

Posted Images

Yup, I was a bit disappointed myself to be honest. Not a bad price but in this condition to a full cavalier... I wish the buyer didn't pay me. I wouldn't have sold it if I knew the price would be this low. Especially since I have sold Glory 2nd's in worse condition with a less interesting story to non-full-cavaliers for over $700

Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎02‎.‎06‎.‎2017 at 02:14, USSR said:

Yup, I was a bit disappointed myself to be honest. Not a bad price but in this condition to a full cavalier... I wish the buyer didn't pay me. I wouldn't have sold it if I knew the price would be this low. Especially since I have sold Glory 2nd's in worse condition with a less interesting story to non-full-cavaliers for over $700

Well, dear USSR, I guess, the hammer price of your OGII was at least 50% under the estimate :-(

The upper middle class in the former Soviet Union isn't that well off, as some years ago and the classical middle class in the western world, which invested in fine arts & collectibles, almost vanished :-(

Kind regards

Christian

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Ferdinand said:

I agree, and on top of that the citation was pretty good. The vagaries of the market...

Well, the prices of Soviet medals will go up and down, as the history since 1992 showed, but rather high-end items with documentation will always have a sort of eternal value. The decline of US-propaganda in the world and the re-writing of the history of World War II might increase - in the long rund - the interest in documented Soviet awards, I guess.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎7‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 16:46, Christian Zulus said:

Well, the prices of Soviet medals will go up and down, as the history since 1992 showed, but rather high-end items with documentation will always have a sort of eternal value. The decline of US-propaganda in the world and the re-writing of the history of World War II might increase - in the long run - the interest in documented Soviet awards, I guess.

Gents,

  One of the major drivers in publishing my book on the Full Cavaliers of the Soviet Order of Glory was just that - to advance awareness and understanding of Soviet soldier valor in the Second World War among English speakers.  While much about them is written in Russian, Ukrainian and other languages of the former USSR, precious little is available in English. 

 Whether my book might also have the secondary effect of influencing the collector market in the West remains an open question - although it cannot be discounted. 

Regards,

slava1stclass

Edited by slava1stclass
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...

Gents,

  This well-worn OGI (trust me, I have seen much worse) was just listed on the well-known NYC-area dealer's site.  Asking price:  $7,900.00.  It was awarded to a Junior Sergeant who served as a machine gunner in a Rifle Division.

Regards,

slava1stclass

175.jpg

175a.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
On ‎10‎/‎21‎/‎2014 at 11:03, slava1stclass said:

Gents,

As GHB notes, this is clearly a "thrown together" Full Cavalier "set." While OGI s/n 2174 is legit, it was never officially awarded and therefore has no associated OGII or OGIII.

The "advertised" OGII is a doctored OGIII. The "advertised" OGIII appears legit.

In offering OGI s/n 2174 as part of a "Full Cavalier set", the seller is simply trying to move the OGI at his original asking price for the OGI as a stand-alone piece.  Steer clear.

Regards,

slava1stclass

2174 Set.jpg

2174 Seta.jpg

Gents,

  Last listed for a BIN price of $11,999.00 on the well-known auction site in late February 2016, it is once again listed for sale there.  He has increased the BIN price to $12,499.00.  Fake sets are subject to inflation too you know...

Regards,

slava1stclass

Edited by slava1stclass
Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎8‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 11:29, slava1stclass said:

Gents,

  This well-worn OGI (trust me, I have seen much worse) was just listed on the well-known NYC-area dealer's site.  Asking price:  $7,900.00.  It was awarded to a Junior Sergeant who served as a machine gunner in a Rifle Division.

Regards,

slava1stclass

175.jpg

175a.jpg

Gents,

  It is no longer available.

Regards,

slava1stclass

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Gents,

   This Order of Bogdan Khmelnitskiy III Class was awarded to a Full Cavalier of the Order of Glory.  It is currently at auction in the former Soyuz.  At the moment, the high bid stands at $2,445.00.

  In general, the OBKIII was infrequently awarded to enlisted men during the war.  That said, only a handful of Full Cavaliers were recipients. 

  The real takeaway, however, is that any orders and medals awarded to Full Cavaliers (beyond their three OGs) tend to command a premium.

Regards,

slava1stclass

OBKIIIa.jpg

OBKIIIb.jpg

OBKIIIc.jpg

OBKIIId.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎10‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 12:41, slava1stclass said:

Gents,

   This Order of Bogdan Khmelnitskiy III Class was awarded to a Full Cavalier of the Order of Glory.  It is currently at auction in the former Soyuz.  At the moment, the high bid stands at $2,445.00.

  In general, the OBKIII was infrequently awarded to enlisted men during the war.  That said, only a handful of Full Cavaliers were recipients. 

  The real takeaway, however, is that any orders and medals awarded to Full Cavaliers (beyond their three OGs) tend to command a premium.

Regards,

slava1stclass

OBKIIIa.jpg

OBKIIIb.jpg

Gents,

  In the end, it sold in the $2,600.00 to $3,000.00 range.

Regards,

slava1stclass

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...

Gents,

  Currently available for sale on a dealer's site.  This exceptionally pristine OGI was issued close to 25 years after the war ended to replace an erroneously-issued second OGIII to the same soldier.  The recipient was a corporal assigned to a rifle regiment with duties as a rifleman and later submachine gunner.  He was also awarded the ORS and two BMs during the war.

  Price:  $9,495.00.

Regards,

slava1stclass

3169 Obv.jpg

3169 Obva.jpg

3169 Rev.jpg

3169 Reva.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Gents,

  This OGI to a Full Cavalier recently sold in the former Soyuz for $8,500.00.  He was a senior sergeant artillery gun crew commander assigned to an artillery regiment in a rifle division.  His OGI was awarded for valor in combat in Poland in late winter/early spring 1945.

Regards,

slava1stclass

284.jpg

284a.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Gents,

  It's that time of year once again - "The New York Sale" auction is scheduled for January 9-11, 2018.  This year's auction includes one Full Cavalier set to a Guards Junior Sergeant T-34 tank mechanic-driver.  He was erroneously awarded three OGIIIs during the war.  On August 19, 1955, two of his three OGIIIs were amended to an OGII and an OGI and he officially attained Full Cavalier status - 10 years after the war ended.  He was also awarded a BM during the war. 

  Full Cavalier sets to tank crew members are far and few between.  The opening bid is set at $12,500.00.

Regards,

slava1stclass

NYS 2018.jpg

NYS 2018a.jpg

Edited by slava1stclass
Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎8‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 14:20, slava1stclass said:

Gents,

  This very nice Full Cavalier set includes the Full Cavalier booklet.  It is offered for sale in the former Soyuz.  At the current exchange rate, the asking price is $22,879.00.

Regards,

slava1stclass

PKOC Set.jpg

 

On ‎8‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 11:27, Christian Zulus said:

Gentlemen,

this fine cavalier's set above seems to have at least a "normal" asking price :-)

Any more details or citations?

Kind regards

Christian

Christian,

  He was a rifleman serving as a private in a rifle regiment/division subordinate to the 69th Army.  His final OG was awarded in late April 1945 for action during the Berlin Strategic Offensive Operation.  Awarded an OGII and two OGIIIs during the war, his second OGIII was amended to an OGI in 1951 at which time he attained Full Cavalier status.

Regards,

slava1stclass

Link to post
Share on other sites

Gents,

  This well-worn OGII to a Full Cavalier is currently available for sale in the former Soyuz.  You can detect just the faintest traces of gilding on the central medallion.  The Full Cavalier was a junior sergeant 45mm anti-tank gun gunner assigned to a rifle regiment.

  Sadly, this is another example of a Full Cavalier set being broken up with little regard to preserving the complete set of three decorations.  This set's OGI was on the market as a stand-alone piece within the past five years.

Regards,

slava1stclass

OGII PKOC.jpg

OGII PKOCa.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎12‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 13:44, slava1stclass said:

Gents,

  It's that time of year once again - "The New York Sale" auction is scheduled for January 9-11, 2018.  This year's auction includes one Full Cavalier set to a Guards Junior Sergeant T-34 tank mechanic-driver.  He was erroneously awarded three OGIIIs during the war.  On August 19, 1955, two of his three OGIIIs were amended to an OGII and an OGI and he officially attained Full Cavalier status - 10 years after the war ended.  He was also awarded a BM during the war. 

  Full Cavalier sets to tank crew members are far and few between.  The opening bid is set at $12,500.00.

Regards,

slava1stclass

NYS 2018.jpg

NYS 2018a.jpg

Gents,

  Interestingly, this set did not sell or was pulled from the auction at some point.

Regards,

slava1stclass

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Blog Comments

    • Sounds great other than the Orange & Mango squash only because I prefer cran-pomegranate juice.
    • "(...) disgusting herbal concoction (...)" I took note of this description, to enrich my otherwise limited, English "Wortschatz"...
    • At work the standard indian tea such as PG tips is referred to as chimp tea. This goes back to the days when we had a Spanish girl working for us whose command of the English language was extremely limited. One lunch she said she was going to the shop could she get anything. I asked if she could get a pack of tea bags. She returned with some disgusting herbal concoction. I tried to explain what was required but without success. I then remembered PG tips had a picture of a chimpanzee on the packe
    • When I read Lapsang Souchong i decided to post something about these Tea . Many years ago I dont  know about Lapsang until I read James Michener book Centennial and the description of the savour of the Lapasang as a mix of tar and salt & smoked made me proof . It was exact ! and i liked it since then .
    • I have been known to drink Lapsang Souchong and Tea, Earl Grey, Hot... both "without pollutants". I normally have one mug of coffee in the morning, then spend the rest of the day drinking Orange & Mango squash (by the pint). Then evening comes and it's a pint, followed by red wine with dinner and sometimes a drop of Laphroaig afterwards.
×
×
  • Create New...