News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

IMPERIAL GERMAN FLYING HELMET ?

Good Morning Everyone

I picked this helmet / hat up during my last European trip..... I have not done anything with it as I was not exactly sure at to what it was, that is officially..... I have shown it to several collectors and the majority think that it may be a World War One, German, Flying Helmet.....

I am posting it here to find out what your opinions may be.....

To answer some questions in advance:

1. There are no markings of any kind inside or outside that I can find but there may have been a label inside at one time....

2. The only named item are the snaps, they are made by a company called "STOCKO" which I understand was founded in Germany in 1901 for the manufacture of hollow rivets, eyelets, press fasteners and metal buttons.

Therefor the helmet / hat has some parts that could have been made during or even before the World War One period.....

So I am going to throw it out to everyone for their comments and opinions......

Oh yes I do understand that there are copies but with the wear and the fastenings I do not think this is a copy.....

Mike

Hard to say...

I have seen many of these on the flea markets, for sale for pennies, as these leather caps were used by motor cyclists and moped drivers (in combination with a tough leather over coat) until the late 1960's.

My gandfather had one quite similar - before crash helmets became the custom in the 60s - and he sure was not a pilot.

Does it say Sokolo and or Socko on the button ?

I can't read what it makes out on the button :D

If it is Sokolo we used to have motorcycle and pilot helmets in Yugoslavia from that producer.

Edited by Rogi

It is a very hard call... I agree that these are all over in Germany, I also picked one up at a flea market, but they were mainly used on Bikes, open cars etc. etc.

I assume flyers had something similar, but how to tell which model was used by pilots, and which model was used by Uncle Hans to drive his car in 1923?