News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Defense of Stalingrad Medal

By these scans everything looks ok.

P.S. Rick, why such blur scans of medals? Epson can do much better! Is it because you are a) compressing them before posting or b) using automatic regime? If a) then you overdo it (not to mention that GMIC automatically compresses photos these days. If b) then maybe it's time to use other regimes with 600-800 dpi resolution.

Just a thought :whistle:

Edited by JapanX

By this scans everything looks ok.

P.S. Rick, why such blur scans of medals? Epson can do much better! Is it because you are a) compressing them before posting or b) using automatic regime? If a) then you overdo it (not to mention that GMIC automatically compresses photos these days. If b) then maybe it's time to use other regimes with 600-800 dpi resolution.

Just a thought :whistle:

I am using an Epson with 600dpi. I don't compress the file; upload the same one that comes from the scanner. The scans aren't blurring at all on my computer when I open them.

Does anyone else think the scans are blurry?

Something lost in translation at your end perhaps... :whistle:

Edited by IrishGunner

They aren't blurry at all! I would recommend, however, to ignore the suspension and post only the medal portion; the suspension is not relevant when discussing originality. This saves file size, which you can use to increase the size of the medal itself.

They aren't blurry at all! I would recommend, however, to ignore the suspension and post only the medal portion; the suspension is not relevant when discussing originality. This saves file size, which you can use to increase the size of the medal itself.

Thanks, good point regarding suspension.

Undoubtedly! :lol:

P.S. Simply download your own pictures and then try to examine small details - like letters, soldering of the ring, handle of the sickle etc.

Nick, be serious. Any image file ... no matter it's size or dpi ... will become blurry if you download and attempt to zoom in beyond a certain point. I'm just a poor American, I don't have a super Russian computer that can zoom in from outer space and read license plates.

Oh, by the way, do you think the scratches on my Jeep will buff out or should I have it repainted? :lol:

Any image file ... no matter it's size or dpi ... will become blurry if you download and attempt to zoom in beyond a certain point.

The only question: how quickly this "certain point" is reached :whistle:

If 600 dpi scan looks this way after posting, then the only solution is to make close-ups of medal and even close-ups of certain parts of medal. I've just checked my recently posted 1200 dpi scans - they look pretty much like your scans in post #1 :(

Oh, by the way, do you think the scratches on my Jeep will buff out or should I have it repainted? :lol:

Rick, be serious!

Simply post photos of Jeep here and you will be on the safe side ;)

Edited by JapanX

"What I am trying to do here" - I already explained in post #10.

As we both know modern soviet fakes are stamped, have soldered rings and sometimes nicely aged.

That's why usually I need to do some "zooming in" to detect them.

Probably we simply have different required levels of "zooming in".

My experience with posting pictures on GMIC is that all pictures are reduced compared with the original, even if the original file size is far below the allowed maximum of 8M.

Frankly, I could not understand the criteria followed by this resize, for sure the loaded file is always different from the source.

This means that we have very limited control over the quality of the scans and the percent of zooming that Nick can apply on them.

The only mitigation action is to start from big enlargement of details (the medal with no suspension, as Auke suggests, or even smaller) such to maximise the information surviving the upload process.

As an example, a recent scan of mine. The original picture is 1639 × 3434 and the file size is 4M. After loading this file, I expect 4M left available for uploading from the initial 8M.

Instead, this is what I read:

Attach Files You can upload up to 7.94MB of files (Max. single file size: 7.87MB)

Trouble uploading? Try our basic uploader

Note that if you click on the thumbnail you can see that the file is 64k (!) - Dear Nick, I am not surprised you have not much to zoom with such a small file :shame:

ciao,

Sergio

Edited by rocketscientist