News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Victorian era ribbon bar - is it tracable?

Hi all,

Today I received really nice Victorian era ribbon bar. What to you guys think - is this combination unique and possible to trace a owner? I had been advised by the previous owner that the combination most likely indicates officer in the Royal Navy.

Regards,

Timo

2309392354c72f_l.jpg

- The Royal Victorian Order (established 1896)

- Egypt campaign medal (awarded 1882–1889)

- East and West Africa medal (awarded 1887 – 1900)

- Third China War medal (established 1901)

- Khedive's Star (awarded 1882-1891)

well, that narrows it down to officer (almost certainly) and a member of only a few units:RA or navy Brigade some sort of staff unusual wallah. None of the Indian regiments , except a small pioneer detachment, were in all 3 campaigns.

Edited by Ulsterman

The first ribbon could also be the Royal Victorian Medal, and thus have been presented to a Petty Officer.

I am also thinking of a Navy recipient. Many Navy men received either the RVO or RVM for service on the Royal Yacht(s) or at the funeral of Queen Victoria.

The absence of a NLS&GC Medal is remarkable, as this bar covers about 20 yrs of service, but it can also indicate an officer...

The mounting of the ribbons is rather modern, not older than about 1910.

Edited by Odulf

Yes, it was made surely after Boer war when this kind of standardised pin system became in use and before 1918. However, bar represents Victorian period service only and that's weird - ribbon bars were designed for uniform only and that chap must have it on at this time. That makes me thinking perhaps he had something more but upgraded to higher class. Probably impossible to confirm and most likely this bar stays anonymous.

Regards,

Timo

Many of the personnel who were pensionned or landed in the RFR between about 1905 and 1914 were drafted when war broke out.

That could have been e reason for mounting these ribbons.

After 1918 they all were pensioned, again, and did not bother to wear/mount their Pip, Squeek and Wilfred.

To attach a name to this bar is near impossible.

You would have to check all the medal rolls for the RVO and RMV, Egypt & Sudan Campaign Medals, East & West Africa Medals, Third China War Medals, and see if any name turns up in each of these rolls.

It is unlikely that recipient of these medals served throughout his entire Naval service in just one ship.

Two officers were awarded an MVO for Queen Victoria's funeral, Percy Lockhart Harnam Noble and Aubrey William Peebles, details will be avalable in Navy Lists. A large number of RVMS in silver and bronze were awarded to the crew of HMS "Excellent" If one of the officer's check out then you have a nice attribution, otherwise anybody's guess.

Paul

Two officers were awarded an MVO for Queen Victoria's funeral, Percy Lockhart Harnam Noble and Aubrey William Peebles, details will be avalable in Navy Lists. A large number of RVMS in silver and bronze were awarded to the crew of HMS "Excellent" If one of the officer's check out then you have a nice attribution, otherwise anybody's guess.

Paul

Thank you very much for that Paul! To you know how many MVOs were awarded to the Royal Navy 1896-1914?

Kind Regards,

Timo

I had a large collection of RNLS Medals to officers and men who served in the British Royal Yachts. In my collection were many groups comprising the RVO and RVM.

The position of the RVM shifted after the Great War to a position immediately after the campaign medals.

Unfortunately I have not made photos of my entire collection (digital photos were not common then) but i have some, made in 2001 at an exhibtion.

Some years ago three members of the OMRS produced 3 wonderful books,also containing the lists of Royal Victorian Orders (all classes) and Medals (all types).

Unfortunately I sold the books, as I sold my collection... But thes books are still on the market and a treasure trove for derious collectors of Household Medals and the RVO/RVM.

So many Orders and Medals were presented, for all sort of reasons. The medals and orders are thus fare from rare.